cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 and DHCP

grafiksol
Level 1
Level 1

I have just installed and configured a new RVS4000 with VPN (currently running firmware V2.0.0.3), and have enabled the DHCP Server service. I wanted to be able to distribute a search domain in addition to the IP address and DNS Server information (as I have done with other devices that include a DHCP Server), but cannot seem to locate where or how I might do that with the RVS4000. Perhaps it is not possible with this device?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Jeff A

4 Replies 4

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Jeff,

Please clarify on what you're asking? Not clear on option you are looking for!

Jasbryan

Jasbryan,

The DHCP RFC Specification (2132) defines ten "default" options available for use. They are (along with their "code" number) Subnet Mask (1), Router (3), DNS Servers (6), Domain Name (15), WINS/NBNS (44), WINS/NBT (46), NetBIOS ID (47), Lease Time (51), Renewal Time (58) and Rebinding Time (59).The option that I have used in previous DHCP server environments is the one called Domain Name (Code 15). It simply adds a default domain name to the information sent to clients, for use with client DNS lookups.

I couldn't find that option available in the RVS4000 GUI, and guess it may not even be available via any command line support (if any) on the RVS4000. I dug around in some old Cisco IOS documents I have and found the IOS command

to be:   Router(dhcp-config)# domain-name [domain]

Hope that clarifies. I'm probably expecting for too much from the RVS4000, but just thought I would ask.

Jeff A

Jeff,

Correct we don't have an option 15 configurable for this model router. You can look at the RV models and SA500 models do. Here is a link to emulators. Link to Emulators Once you get into the Gui look under network-->Lan-->IPv4 config--> Domain Name (configurable)

Jasbryan

Jasbryan,

Thanks for the reference to those models and the emulator link. I checked out several of those possibilities.

Guess I may need to upgrade my hardware to something a bit more capable.

And thank you for all of your help and support...it was simply awesome!

Jeff A

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: