cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rvs4000 cable diagnostics

gregciano
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any information/documentation on how the cable diagnostic section for the rvs4000 is suppoed to work, I get the fact that you have to choose a port but what do the A, B,C, D lines test. The documentation in the interface is, to say the least, inadequate. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

There are 4 pairs of wires in a RJ-45 cable. The cable diagnostics detect the cable length and determine if any of the four pair is open. Attached are 2 screenshots, where the former shows the OK test result of a short RJ-45 cable and the latter shows the test result of an open Ethernet port.

First, Thanx veery much for the response, just a little more info if you can. I see the 2 results, and that confirms what I have seen so far, do you know what the abnrm code means? Also I have a cable run from port 1 in the router to a cisco 24 port workgroup switch where I get "ok" for the A and B pairs but short for C and D, is this normal when the patch cord is plugged into a switch?

I want to know this too.  Where can I find detailed information on this test and the values displayed?  I looked up TDR for more info.

Based On what I know and quickly read, I think "Short" means litterally that the cable is physically a short cable by the standards of the test method and registers as such because the impedance can not be measured.  If I am way off base here please tell me.

I have a lot of cables that read C D as "Short"  "I get a lot of Abnrm readings too."  but i also show 1GB connections...  Hmm?

Still want to see Cisco document the readouts a little better than they have