Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000-EU, Slow Internet Download

innobit0815
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have read a lot of things about slow download speeds and the RVS 4000 router. The suggested solution to disable IPS didn't help me - the througput is still slow.

Internet Link: 50 MBit/s Down / 2.5 MBit/s Up

Testing I did so far:

Laptop connected direct to cable modem => full speed

Laptop connected to RVS 4000 => dowload drops to about 20 Mbit/s

RVS 4000 Config:

IPS disbled.

Firmware: Current 2.0.2.7

What else could I try?

Thank you,

Sven

6 Replies 6

abudef000
Level 1
Level 1

Try to disable even QoS, restart device, perform speedtest.

I'm not sure when QOS is really disabled, but I set "Bandwidth Management" to disabled. Reboot was also done.

I think I have found the problem.

I did the following tests:

• Reset RVS 4000 to Factory Settings
  • Changed RVS IP Adress to the one I use in my network
  • Nothing else changed
  • Speedtest => Full Download Speed!
  • Step by Step configuration changes I usually do

I didn't believe it but the problem is the daylight savings time (automatic change)!

If I enable the "Auto Daylight Saving" feature the speed drops about 50%.

If I disable it, speed is at 100%

Best thing: The IPS Feature is still enabled!

I have no idea what this setting has to to with the connection speed, maybe someone from Cisco can help here?

I will retry speedtests the next days to check if the full speed is still available.

Here a screenshot of the setting (100% speed).

Sven

Wow - thats awesome keep us posted on your tests results

Jasbryan

YO! STFU!!!  If you're right and this works -- I'm sending you a check!

I did some additional testing with other configuration settings. It seems that at leats some of the settings lead to the same effect. Setting changed => slow internet. Reboot RVS400 => speed ok again.

Second thing: after two days without any configuration change speed falls also down again. Reboot of RVS4000 => speed ok again.

So at the moment I think the setting itself is not the real problem because the "slow" speed comes back after some time.

I think I will sent the RVS4000 back and buy another router. Not only because of the speed, it also doesn't support VPN with iOS (iPAD) devices.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: