cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 Firmware Upgrade

carlo2940
Level 1
Level 1

Recently purchased a RVS4000 Router, which included v1.1.14 firmware. Is it necessary to reset the router to Factory Default settings, after upgrading to v1.2.11, as in most of the other previous upgrades?

37 Replies 37

That's the one I was looking at. Are there any VPN gotchas with this one like with the RVS4000? I understand not working between two 192.168.1.x networks but what about peculiarities like having to turn off firewalls, not working with x64 O/S, etc?

Thanks for the suggestion,

--GREG--

The rv042 has the same vpn gotcha's as the rvs4000, but the rv042 has the pptp server which you can use with vista 64 bit, macintosh pretty much anything as long as you use the vpn client built in the pc's device.  The rv042 will support 5 pptp clients and you can use quickvpn as well to connect up clients that are not having any issues.

RV042 would be a great choice

Hi Gregory,

Cisco does charge for incidents that are out of phone warranty.. to stop the myriad of frivolous calls that come in.

If phone support warranty has run out, this may not mean that the product warranty has run out, and as such depending on the situation, if the unit really is faulty your credit card charge will be reversed.

The Small Business Support center Engineer will ask you for a credit card, if the phone support period on your product has run out. But according to the following Service support Q&A on warranty support,  referenced in the following Cisco URL;

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/services/docs/Service_Support_Incident_QACustomer_0302.pdf

Question.
What if a customer purchases Out-of-Warranty Phone Support and it is determined that the customer’s issue is caused by a hardware problem covered by the Cisco Small Business product warranty?

Answer.
The customer’s credit card charges for the Out-of-Warranty Phone Support will be reversed.

You might find it useful to enable dynamic dns on the WRVS4400N, since the WAN address on your customers machine may change.  It's a free feature, and you can easily find the router on the internet, or at least find out if the WAN address of the WRVS4400N is a private or Global address.

regards Dave

This whole thing still doesn't seem right to me. Why would a simple firmware upgrade cuase the WAN to go awry? What, specifically, is different between the 1.1.14 version that WAS on it and the now dysfunctional 1.2.10 version? Is there a new policy or switch that disables the WAN access by default? If I can't get this to work I am going with a competitor's product or a "real" Cisco not Linksys. Is anyone fromCisco/Linksys listening?

Thanks for listening but I am losing my patience with this product,

--GREG--

I was told that there is some incompatibility in the bootloaders that caused this issue, and there is a fix under testing now.

What is the ETA to getting this fix?

I really don't have time to wait. What is a good entry-level "CISCO" product that would suit our needs? An 1811? I don't want to spend over $1k and don't necessarily care about WiFi functionality either.

Thanks for all your help!

--GREG--

According to the support policy, you would need to get a ticket number before you could receive the fix, which will wipe out all the settings on your router including the incompatibility in the bootloader that is causing the issue.

The latest firmware bricked my RVS4000 as well.

The link you sent doesn't work anymore.

Do you have a current link to the rescue tool.

Thanks!

What do you mean by bricked it?  Do you mean it is not accessible, or that the wan port is not working?  If you can access the router I would reload the latest frimware located at this site http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/DownloadCart.x?imageGuId=EFAFDED5B5038E7B46C14C60B8AB201194313855 .

Once you do that, do a factory reset of the router and reload the configurations again.  If that does not work, I would call the SBSC at 1866-606-1866 and let them further trouble shoot with you.  Hope this helps.

It looks like I'm having a similar problem to the previous post.  I attempted to update the firmware on my RVS4000 to RVS4000-1305.img.  The router was at factory defaults and had version 1.1.14 of the firmware on it.   The firmware upload failed at about 30% complete and the router is now flashing the power and diag light in sequence.  It looks like I need the firmware recovery tool but it's not visible when I search for it when logged in.  Maybe someone can point me to the correct location or update my account so that I have enough rights to see the link.

Thank you!

Mikezyzni,

I am sorry your router failed during the upgrade.  I have searched the site for a recovery tool for the RVS4000 but I have not found one either.  At this point, if a factory reset does not get the router to get past the diagnostic light, and/or you can not access the web interface of the router to attempt to try the upgrade again, please call SBSC at 1-866-606-1866 and let them attempt to troubleshoot the issue.  Thank you.

Thank you for the reply!  I was able to use the RVS4000 firmware rescue utility v1.2 to recover the base firmware and access the router again (couldn't reach the support folks over the holidays, very understandable).  It would be very helpful if this utility was openly posted in the same location as the firmware and QuickVPN utility. Could that be run up the management chain at Cisco to improve the self service support and save cost associated with the phone support?  

I did a good deal of trouble shooting with IE8 on my Windows XP SP3 system to try to determine the problem that I originally encountered.  It became very clear that IE8 would fail loading any version of the RVS4000 firmware at the 23% (I tested them all).  I suspected a security setting problem with IE8 so I attempted to adjust security settings to allow for the router to be in the trusted zone and minimized any security related settings that I thought might get in the way.  Unfortunately these attempts didn't prove out a solution in the time that I had left to troubleshoot before my holiday time off was over.  I then loaded the latest version of Firefox and proceeded to load the RVS4000-1305.img with no failure.   I would like to see this worked further by the Cisco Small Business experts to help others avoid the problem that I had. 

Bottom line in my testing on the issue is don't use IE8 when doing a firmware upgrade on your device.  Firefox was a safe alternative for my configuration. 

I hope my experience helps others before they have a firmware upgrade problem!

Mike

Where did you get the firmware rescue tool for this router...

It's not in with the firmware & a search shows nothing...

can you post the file to a reply or send me a link or email me the file?

"K*I*S*S" to Cisco ......

(Keep it Simple Stupid) this Linksys integration sucks....

A Simple support page for the product, with links to the software/archives

that actually work is needed....Oh, Wait, Linksys already HAD that !!!!

:(

Here.. help if you are stuck.

use the utility...the one for the WRVS-4400N..

so go into the downloads for this one, get the file then install it local to your system.

Disconnect all but power and a cable from port 1 (one) to your system.

Set a static address of 192.168.1.? ?=pick 2 to 253 as they will all be open and the router is on 1.

open the utility and ignore the warnings as at this point your settings are all gone & you just want it to work again.

after it's done, power cycle the router and try to connect to the admin-web-page (http://192.168.1.1) U=admin P=admin

if it works it thinks it's a wireless router,  Now, Go to the admin page & upgrade the firmware to the latest one for the correct

product (RVS4000) which is 1.3.0.5 right now. Then after you flash it, check it again & it should be working fine now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: