cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 has 2.5 star rating on Amazon-what's really going on?

Paul Goodwin
Level 1
Level 1

I am considering buying one of these but am concerned. Obviously not everyone that writes a review on Amazon has any technical know how, but there are a number of reviews ( within the last 6 months) that are disturbing and written by people that do have reasonable technical know how. The reviews are here:

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-RVS4000-4-port-Gigabit-Security/product-reviews/B000GQXFUK/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Sort them by newest first. There seems to be some issues with VPN stability/tunnels; questions about whether to set the thing up as a gateway or not to be compatible with an ISP cable modem. There's other DOA quality issues. Overall the story is rather ugly considering that the device has been out for a while and had some upgrades.

I've been to some other sites with reviews that are better, but there's not the quantity of reviews on those other sites to be a real indication of quality of the design/build.

So what is the REAL story on this device?

I'm considering buying one of these and an SD2008T switch. I have another router I'm considering. Why would I go for the RVS4000 given the heartache people seem to be having? Note. I'm not an IT person, but am a retired electrical engineer and understand most of what's going on, but set-up simplicity is still important.

12 Replies 12

doug_counsil
Level 1
Level 1

We had a WRVS4400N v2, and for the price it was a great SOHO router.  If I remember correctly it did have one limitation that some found annoying.  If you disable the router's DHCP server disabling inter-VLAN routing had no effect.

We didn't encounter any issues with enabling IPS because we had a slow Internet connection (15 Mbps).  I think the WRVS4400N could only handle 25 - 30 Mbps on average with IPS enabled.  IPS caught/prevented DOS attacks from IPs originating from China all the time.

I personally think the bad rap comes from when the WRVS4400N and RVS4000 first came out.  A lot of firmware updates have been pushed out since.

Thanks Curtis. There were a lot of good reviews too on the RVS4400, just a disturbing number of bad ones. And yes there were a lot of them from 2-3 years ago. Maybe I'll pull al the old ones out and see what the rating would be without them in the data. Hopefully I'll get a few more responses here to make me feel better.

Message was edited by: Paul Goodwin I meant RVS4000, not 4400 in the reply to Curtis

Pretty scary about the DOS attacks from China

Sent from my iPad

Paul Goodwin
Level 1
Level 1

Also, I couldn't find on Cisco's site/specs whether the router handle jumbo frames. Anyone know if it does?

I don't recall there being an option to enable/disable jumbo frames in the WRVS4400N v2 GUI.

I know the RV220W has that feature because we have one in our lab right now that I am getting ready to put up on eBay as we no longer have a need for it.

Thanks. I can't imagine that the RVS4000 doesn't have that feature but I sure couldn't find it in Cisco's specs anywhere. I didn't need to disable it

I know that the SA540 doesn't support jumbo frames and it has all gigabit ports. 

I'm not the only one surprised/dissappointed by this...

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3359216#3359216

I've tried contacting Cisco Small Business Support on several occasions. They must have laid off all their support people. No one ever answers the live chat, and they never respond to any email.

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Exactly when and how were you trying to get into the live Cisco Chat. What were some of the parameters that you used. I want to look into this and make sure something hasn't happened.

If you mouse over my name and picture you should be able to find my e-mail.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Hi Eric. Thanks for answering. I went to the Small Business Support site. Chose the live chat link:   Online Chat Support

at: 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/onlinechatsupport

after filling out the name/emaill address/ product ID and issue description.

A dialog box comes up asking for permission to allow the applet ciscosupport.webex.com and I hit the allow button.

The webex chat window opened OK, and I was able to type in the window,

I just tried it again and someone finally came into the chat so it works. They must have been really busy before - I waited pretty long twice. Someone came on right away this time. LOL did you jab them or something?

from the chat:

from Paul Goodwin to All Participants:
I'd like to know if the RVS4000 supports Jumbo Frames on both the WAN and LAN ports.

I looked at everything I could find on the website for this product and couldn't find it mentioned anywhere

from Craig Washington to All Participants:
Not on the WAN, I will have to check on the lan settings

It appears under the L2 Switch tab you can input a Max Frame type

I'm considering buying one of these, so I was curious. Does it default to enabled? Or does the choice come up during the initial setup?

I don't see anything that actually says jumbo frames but I believe you can put in a value

I'm only semi-skilled at router admin

No, after the device is setup you can navigate to the L2 Switch option and it has a Max Frame value

I think I need to learn more about what Jumbo Frames are and why I need them - sounds like a new post.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: