Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 - Internet Access Policy

Would there be some reason why I cannot change the Access Restriction to Allow?  I also can't add anything into the Website Blocking by URL Address or the Website Blocking by Keyword.   I can't type anything in the fields.  I've tried rebooting, other browsers and even other computers but nothing seems to work.  Any idea of where I've gone wrong here?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The router supports either Allow or Deny rules, but not both. Once the first deny rule is configured, the router assumes that all the unspecified situations are allowed.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

josejack
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Lawrence,

My name is Joseph. On the router, when you go into the Firewall, and Internet Access Policy Section, Make sure the "Status" has the "Enable" radio button selected. You will not be able to select "Allow" on the "Access Restriction" unless the status is set to enable.

All other settings will remain greyed out until you do so. Give this a try and let me know how that goes.

Sorry I failed to mention that the status was/is set to 'Enabled' and that's why I'm so confused as to why I can't access the above mentioned features.  The Schedule feature seems to work fine.  The firmware is current also.

Hello Lawrence,

Do you have any Protect Link on the router? Also, could you try logging into the router using a different browser just in case the issue is with activeX or another browser related component.

No I don't have Protect Link on the router.  Do those features require this in order for them to function?

Also, I tried this with Firefox, IE 9, IE 8, Opera, Safari, Windows XP, Windows 7 and Mac OSX.  Same result.

Hello Lawrence,

You do not need to have protectlink installed. Please do the following: make sure you are on the latest firmware of 1.3.3.5. is it possible to post screenshots of how your internet access policy is configured? What other settings do you have configured on the router? To my knowledge, having protectlink on the router is the only thing that will not allow you to enable the internet access policy.

If the router is not in a production environment, try reflashing the firmware image first. Reset the router to factory default settings, only after backing up your configuration file. From the default settings, see if you can configure the Internet access policy. If you are able to, then we know there is a setting on the router blocking it. If you are not able to, then you can proceed with restoring the configurations on the router.

Hello Lawrence,

My apologies, the firmware version from above, is if you have a version 1 router. if you have a version 2 router, then the up to date firmware version is 2.0.2.7

I've got version 2 router with V2.0.2.7

I'll have to do the reflashing later tonight.

Here's what I'm seeing & thanks for your help:

Additionally, I have another RVS4000 still in it's original wrapper.  I'll open that one up and check to see if those settings are available out of the box.

Thanks again.

Ok...  I deleted the first policy I created (one that would kick my kid off the internet at set hours) and NOW I have the ability to control the Allow feature in the access restrictions.  That policy was set up to deny access at set hours.  Was that where I went wrong?

The router supports either Allow or Deny rules, but not both. Once the first deny rule is configured, the router assumes that all the unspecified situations are allowed.

Crusher75060
Level 1
Level 1

I have this very same problem. I have v2 with 2027. I created a deny for my son's game time and I can't create another that will deny specific websites. I don't want the internet connection totally denied. Just a few of the gaming sites he spends the most time in.

I just went in and deleted the deny (2 of them I had created) and I still can't get to block by URL.  A friend who has v1 with 1335 on it has no problem creating both a deny for times AND denying certain website connections. WTH?

Crusher

Ok.  I got it now.  You can't just set up a policy for certain computers without setting policies for all.  After I set up a policy for my kid's computers that would limit their hours for accessing the internet, I set up policies for the rest of my computers to allow 24 hour access.  That was it.  It works as advertised now.

Bonus fix!  I was having to reboot my RVS4000 every few days because I'd lose my internet connection.  I came to find that the UPS is was plugged into was overloaded and the battery was spent.  Additonal UPS & new battery = Problem gone.

Thank you tekliu :-)

Humm... I tried that too. But I can't click the "allow" button at all. I have one policy set to deny access to one PC but everyone else has access 24/7 without any further changes.

Still can't create anything else that will "allow" or edit Website blocking by URL....

Crusher

linksysinfo
Level 4
Level 4

Can you try putting the deny rule in last of all?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Regards Simon