John Frankish
Level 1
Level 1

I have a small network setup using:

rvs4000 (firmware 2.0.0.3)

sg100d-08

wap4410n (firmware 2.0.2.1) - configured as AP

wap4410n (firmware 2.0.2.1) - configured as WDS repeater

When I started 3 simultaneous downloads from a Windows 7 machine connected wirelessly to the AP, all other machines (wired and wireless) were unable to connect to the Internet, but maintained their local network connectivity.

Once two out of three of the simultaneous downloads had completed, the other machines regained their Internet connectivity, but lost it again when I started another download so that two simultaneous downloads were in progress.

Note that even the machine on which the downloads were in progress could not access a different web site whilst more than one download was in progress. On the other machines:

Windows XP connected to the WDS repeater: the "Connection Manager" believed it was still connected to the Internet, but could not ping Google

Linux connected to the switch: could not ping Google.

The Internet connection is 512k adsl, so the download loading was not significant.

Is this normal behaviour for an rvs4000? Is there a way to prevent it?

5 Replies 5

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Yeah what your describing is very strange.  You can try to turn off the IPS feature on the router to see if that assist you with staying connected to the internet during downloads.  If your still having issues, i would try and reflash the firmware/ factory reset the device/ and manually reconfigure the router. 

Thanks for the suggestion - I disabled IPS, but the problem is still there.

The rvs4000 came with the latest firmware already installed, but I reset it to factory defaults before I started configuring it.

Try reflashing the firmware and factory reset the device.  It could have a bad firmware uploaded or a corrupted one.  I would try that and see if problem persist.

davbarre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi John,

Can you confirm which AP in your scenario you are connecting to?  The repeater, or AP?

Do you see the same symptoms if you trying the simultanious downloads when wired into your switch, or router?

Thanks!

Dave

David L. Barrett, Jr.

I tried three possible scenarios - the windows 7 machine connected to the switch, the ap and the wds repeater.

As soon as two or three downloads are running on the windows 7 machine, no other machine can ping google (in fact it worked just once with a round trip time of over 2,000ms), but they can ping each other.