Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 periodically freezing

tclemensen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I recently purchased a RVS4000 router for my business to replace a power hungry open-source PC based setup. The RVS4000 covers all my needs in respects to Firewall, VPN, VLAN and the IPS system which seems to be very good.

The only thing i noticed, and which is both very irritating and productivity-interfering, is that the unit does periodically freeze - internet traffic does slow to snail speed, ping does time out, the admin interface locks up etc. This seems to happen with a interval of about 5-10 minutes. I also have a site-to-site VPN link to another location, which does also freeze up during these "lockups". After about a minute or so it seems to release whatever it is slowing it down and it again works like a blast for 5-10 minutes...

I have tried upgrading to the latest firmware (1.3.2.0) with no apparent difference, several power cycles, reset etc. I have also tried to disable the IPS, VPN Tunnel and all other security features, and logging without any apparent difference.

Is this a common problem with these units, or is it my unit that is faulty? If it is a common problem, what can be done to fix it?

8 Replies 8

davbarre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Trond,

Can you please configure a syslog server to capture syslog data and compare to times when this is happening?

This is not a common issue with the RVS4000 so we need to gather further forensics.  A config, or description of your configuration will be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Dave

David L. Barrett, Jr.

Hi and thanks for a very quick reply!

I have now set up a syslog server. I can arrange for you to get access to this if you need.

router config is attached in this post.

Thanks 

Trond C.

Hello,

I recognize this post is about a year old, but I bought a Cisco RVS4000 a couple months ago, have it upgraded to the most recent firmware, and I am having this same freezing problem where internet access goes out and I can't login to the router. A power cycle fixes the problem, but only temporarily and it is a countdown until when the router will freeze up again.

Please let me know how you resolved this problem so I can put and end to the network crashes.

Thanks,

rw

Hi Rob,

I would recommend contacting us to help trouble shoot this issue further.  Our phone number is 1-866-606-1866.  Any of our engineers will be happy to help resolve this issue.  

Hi,

I bought a RVS4000 in order to replace an old modem router ADSL.

Now RVS4000 in connected using external ADSL modem configured as bridge.

All works well execpt RVS 4000 freeze about twice per day without any particular operation.

I lost about three days using different configurations, upgrading latest firmware to 2.0.2.7 but nothing changes.

Keep in mind that UPS protect power supply.

At the moment the configuration is the following (only enable items are reported)

WAN: PPPoE, no optional settins, second PPPoE disabled

LAN: DHCP enable

DMZ enable

Operating Mode: gateway

Inter-VLAN: disable

IPv4 only

Remote management: enable on single IP port

Multicast Passthrough: enable

SIP Appl. Layer Gateway: enable

VPN Passthrough: alla enable

I'm very frustrated because the reason I bought CISCO is to get a stable device capable to work when I'm not in office in order to manage my server data from outside.

Please what I have to do ?

Thanks

Francesco

To those who are experiencing issues with RVS4000, is your RVS4000 connected to computers directly or through a switch or a hub?

Hi,

my network includes a gigabit switch that connects two computers and one wireless access point.

Switch is Cisco SE2800EU which is connected directly to router RVS4000. I decided to buy Cisco also for switch to prevent any kind of problems...

In any case It seems there are not differences with or without switch, but I have to try again using this configuration to be absolutly sure.

It is clear that I need to use SE2800 switch to improve phisical connections.

Thanks

Francesco

As the original "owner" of this post, i was surprised to see it being revived.

However, my original problem with this router has been solved. Not thanks to Cisco support, which literally did nothing except ask for a config. 

What i have done is:

- Upgrade to the firmware that was the latest available (mines is V1.3.2.0, don't know if this still is the newest?)

- Disable DHCP

- Disable IPv6

- Enable IPS

- Disable bandwith Management (QoS)

- Use internal server as DHCP and DNS with OpenDNS as forwarder

I found that with both bandwith management and IPS enabled, the router just couldnt handle the pressure...

The router has now been running strong for close to a year now with no problems with this set up.

Your mileage may vary...

Trond C.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: