cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 problem with wireless users

ddeacon38
Level 1
Level 1

I recently setup an RVS4000.  Seems to be configured right.  All the users with a physical connection to the lan worked fine and had internet access.  Oddly though anyone using wireless on their laptops lost internet connection.  I noticed when doing an ipconfig on the laptop it showed the ISP's info for the connection specific dns suffix rather than the domains infor like it normally does.  Thats the only thing out of the ordinary I found.

Is there a setting in the setup of this router that would account for just the wireless users having trouble?

Any advice would be appreciated

12 Replies 12

daviddun
Level 3
Level 3

Good Afternoon,

The RVS4000 does not have the ability to do wireless, you would need a WAP to work with this setup.

What AP are you using in conjunction with the RVS4000.

Let me know so we can help with your issue.

Hi,

I know the RVS4000 doesnt do wireless.  But its affecting it somehow.  The wireless users connect via Linksys wireless access points scattered throughout the building.  With the RVS4000 connected the wireless users lost internet access.  The wired users seemed fine.

daviddun
Level 3
Level 3

Ok,

I would need more info on the setup of the wireless that you have, it sound like a WAP issue, the RVS4000 would not know what is attached to the other end of the wire, it would give equal access to all wired connections (Computers or WAP).

There are about a dozen Linksys wireless AP's distributed throughout the building.  Theres one or two D-link AP's also.  They are all set to DHCP to get their IP's from a reservation on the win2k3 DHCP server.  Security is not enabled (not good I know).

Class B 172.16.x.x address scheme if it matters. Though again whatevers happeneing is still only affecting the wireless.  If I plug in a plain old linksys router back in everything goes back to normal and all is well.

Hi ddeacon38.

Just following along,

1. So, dhcp is done via the microsoft server

2. Therefore i guess that  DHCP server there is turned off on the RVS4000, please confirm under the SETUP>LAN tab  ?

(hope your not running with two DHCP servers configured on the LAN, one being RVS4000 the other being the windows server)

3.  I'm guessing that there have been no trunked VLANs configured on the RVS4000 ?

4.  I'm guessing wireless clients  have received from the windows server a;

• IP address,
  • subnet,
  • gateway and
  • DNS server information.

5. I guess the gateway address for that PC  is the 172.16.x.x  where this is the RVS4000 LAN address ?

6. I hope the dns server information on the wireless client is the same as the wired clients?

Hi I'll try to answer all your questions,

1. Yes DHCP is done via a Win2k3 DHCP server.

2. Under the setup>lan tab DHCP is disabled.

3. no vlans have been configured.

4.  Wireless clients do get IP, subnet, gateway, dns from the windows server.

5.  The gateway address is what I used for the RVS4000.

6.  the DNS info is the same.

Thanks

Hi ddeacon38

hmmmm you got me a little bit concerned with a statement   when you said that the gateway address for the IP hosts on your private network  is the same as the IP gateway address within the  RVS4000.  Or i am questioning the point  five you made.

If the RVS4000 is the router that you are using for internet connectivity, then you realise the gateway address for PC hosts in your LAN must be the LAN address of the RVS4000.

Or did i misinterpret your previous posting ?

regards Dave

Hi,

The RVS4000 is being used for internet connectivity for the building.  The IP the clients use as a gateway is what the RVS4000 uses as its IP.  Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

Hi ddeacon38,

English is a hard languague to master, I am still confused by your last statement "The IP the clients use as a gateway is what the RVS4000 uses as its IP.  Sorry for the confusion."

So I am guessing that the gateway address the IP hosts in your private  network use is the LAN IP address of the RVS4000 ?

If that is the case, I am going to get the hell out of this thread and let David Dunlap take over  :)  he is a better post sales support technician compared to me.

If the gateway for the RVS4000 is something like 65.X.X.X. in other words a real global IP address and not a private address, the IP hosts in your LAN should be using someing like 172.16.X.Y  where X.Y is the LAN ip address of the RVS4000,  for their gateway.

internet router-65.3.3.1------WAN IP=65.3.3.2--RVS4000--LAN ip=172.16.1.1-------PC host ip=172.16.1.2

In the example above the  PC host gateway will be 172.16.1.1

In this example above the RVS4000 gateway will be 65.3.3.1

regards Dave

"So I am guessing that the gateway address the IP hosts in your private  network use is the LAN IP address of the RVS4000 ?"

That is correct.

"

internet router-65.3.3.1------WAN IP=65.3.3.2--RVS4000--LAN ip=172.16.1.1-------PC host ip=172.16.1.2

In the example above the  PC host gateway will be 172.16.1.1

In this example above the RVS4000 gateway will be 65.3.3.1

"

Also correct.

Thanks Dave and David for your help.

A phone chat with Dave determined the problem has to do with the DNS settings on the server here.

Thank you both for the quick responses!

Derek

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: