cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rvs4000 vpn w dyn dns also behind firewall nat

bog216
Level 1
Level 1

The local router is behind a fiber firewall/router; the rvs4000's ext ip is thus 192.168.1.2, not visible from the net.  The firewall/router is a dyn ip, with a dyn dns name mapping to it.  The remote (some NetGear thing) is also dyn dns, but it is not behind a firewall.

I want to cook a vpn from the local lan subnet to the remote lan subnet.

It worked fine when both ends were NetGear.

I think it would be ok if somehow I could thell the rvs4000 that the local Security Gateway Type be just FQDN; it can't be IP+FQDN because the remote end doesn't know anything about that kind of thing; it can do IP or FQDN or a couple other confusing things.

It could be IP Only, if I had some way to tell it something other than the routable address.

Any suggestions?                

2 Replies 2

bog216
Level 1
Level 1

I'd consider changing the other end to also be an rvs4000; the NetGear gizmos seem to die after a year or so.

Could it be made to work with two rvs4000s?

Is there some command line interface to the rvs4000?  Can I telnet or ssh into it and get more control over things?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: