Views
Helpful
Replies

SB RV082 + switches with vlan tag feature

rubengilja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have a small lab datacenter at home, with 1 iSCSI server and 3 VMware ESXi 5.1 hosts. I run some windows servers and a few linux servers.

And a couple of years ago I bought a Cisco SB RV082 Dual VPN Router and a Netgear smart switch to be able to have more segmentantion and managability on my network and VMs. I was really happy with the Cisco router, because of the stability and functionality.

But after a while I wanted to learn VLAN and vlan tagging, and found out that I wanted to create interfaces for the different vlans. I installed the pfSense open source firewall, to be able to create these VLANs with tagging from the firewall and across switches/esxi hosts. The pfSense was installed as a VM on one of the vSphere hosts, and that became a headache if something happened to the host. So I've decided to switch back to the Cisco SB RV082.

So here's my question:

Is it possible to still have all these VLANs I've created on the switches, and on the ESXi Hosts when I swap to the Cisco router? Even if the Cisco only support port based VLAN, this should not be a problem? Because of the Multiple subnet feature? These VLANs will have Internet access and should not have access to each other. Only the primary network/management network should have access to the vlans.

Let's say my primary network is 192.168.1.X and I have 5 vlans with IP 192.168.2.X, ..3.X, ..4.X etc. To be able to use these VLANs across all the devices, do I need to assign each VLAN on the Cisco to a specific port? Meaning that I will have 5 cables from the Cisco to the switch?

I will probably have a domain controller with DHCP and DNS on a few of the VLANs I create. So DHCP for the different VLANs will be created like that, and will not be required from the firewall (which RV082 does not support?)

In my head, this text/topic makes sense. But I'm not entirely sure if you guys understand what I mean or want to accomplish here. So do not hesitate to ask :-)

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ruben, this router supports only port base VLAN. It does not support any VLAN tag (802.1q). This translates in to, the VLANs do not matter, only the subnets.

If you need the subnets to communicate through the router you can enable the multiple subnet feature.

If you want to limit host communication you can try to make access rules to limit the subnet communication.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ruben, this router supports only port base VLAN. It does not support any VLAN tag (802.1q). This translates in to, the VLANs do not matter, only the subnets.

If you need the subnets to communicate through the router you can enable the multiple subnet feature.

If you want to limit host communication you can try to make access rules to limit the subnet communication.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: