Views
Helpful
Replies

SDM Error when configuring WAN on 871

greiner.mike
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My apologies in advance if I've chosen the wrong place to post this question. I'm new to the world of Cisco. I've searched several forums and have been unable to find an answer to this.

I purchased a Cisco 870 on behalf of my company for a small office. We were previously using a consumer-grade router/gateway and I chose Cisco since I wanted something more reliable. Unfortunately, I've been unable to get it to work correctly with the company's ADSL Internet connection.

Using SDM Express to provision it is unsuccessful -- only the user name/password change takes effect once the wizard completes. I've isolated the problem to the WAN connection. If I set up everything except the WAN connection using the Start-up Wizard, then all the settings take effect.

If I then try to set up the WAN connection in full SDM, it fails with the following error:

SDM Express error message.jpg

Our setup is a fairly standard one and I don't really need any configuration options that aren't available through SDM Express. I have an average level of networking knowledge -- having set up many other home and small business routers. However I have no prior experience with CLI configuration. Nevertheless, I have been experimenting with the CLI and the IOS commands over the past three days of trying to get this to work. I have at least got it to the point where the router is dialing the Internet connect and it's accessible from outside. It is not sharing the connection with other workstations on the LAN though.

Has anyone seen the SDM error that I mention? Any help would be appreciated.

Hardware: Cisco 871

Software: IOS 12.4(15)T7, SDM 2.5

Thanks,
Mike

4 Replies 4

Hi Mike,

It seems hat this pppoe error is not critical. According to the following Software Defect Report, some images do not give the user access to that command:

CSCsq83872 - Memory Leak seen while unconfiguring pppoe

(BTW, your IOS image has the fix for the above problem)

Also, you are saying that your Internet is up, so the PPPoE piece seems to be fine.

At this point, I would recommened that you open a TAC case so we can look at this issue in more detail:

http://www.cisco.com/tac/caseopen

Once you have the case number, please send it to me so I can track it. After the engineer provides you with the solution, I will post on the forum.

Thanks,

Marcos

Mike,I received a message from on of our Product Managers and the Engineering team. It reads:

"We have a Software Defect (CSCsv45878) for this issue in Cisco Configuration Professional (CCP) 1.3.

Cisco Configuration Professional is the newer version of SDM (CCP Express can be considered as next generation of SDM Express).It supports voice configuration also.

You can download CCP from the following location, www.cisco.com/go/ciscocp.

We are tracking this DDTS.Once it gets fixed in CCP 1.3,the fix will available in CCP 1.3.  CCP 1.3 will be released soon."

I will post an update on this thread as soon as the new CCP version becomes available.

Thanks,

Marcos

Hi Marcos,

Thanks for your quick reply (and follow up).

Even if that SDM error is harmless, the problem is that the remaining commands aren't applied. I am forced to 'Discard Changes' and then I'm stuck with no WAN configuration.

When I mentioned having Internet access it was through CLI configuration -- not SDM.

I managed to solve the problem by following the steps here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/pppoenat.html

I would prefer to use SDM since I still need to configure the firewall and VPN and I'd rather not attempt that with my limited understanding of IOS -- but at least I've got the WAN and NAT working now.

I'll give CCP Express a try as you've suggested. Am I able to install it on the router, replacing SDM Express?

Thanks,
Mike

CCP is an application that runs on your PC. Let me know how it goes. BTW, did you open a TAC case? I would like to track it if I may.

Marcos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: