cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up an IPSEC VPN with the RV180

lynn
Level 1
Level 1

When setting up the RV180 for a VPN Client, I get the following error message on the RV180 as soon as the client attempts to initiate the connection.

[IKE] ERROR:  Could not find configuration for xx.xx.xx.xx [10952]

where xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP address of the client laptop (dynamic IP). The RV180's Remote Identifier Type is set to "Remote WAN (Internet) IP", so I'd think it should not try to find any configuration info for it. Is this correct? Or should the Remote Identifier Type be set to another selection from the drop down list?

FYI - I am using the NCP Windows 7 compatible client because once it is working, I can export the config file and import it into my Android devices, thus getting my Android devices set up very easily. BTW, only one of the Android devices will ever be connected to the VPN at a given time.

5 Replies 5

anmayfie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Lynn,

Thank you for using the Cisco Support Forums. Below I have posted some links to a few articles that may be helpful in configuring a VPN with an RV180 Router. I hope these articles are helpful.

Basic VPN Setup on RV180 and RV180W

View VPN Client Connection Status on RV180 and RV180W

Thank you,

Andrew Mayfield

Thanks, Andrew. Yes, I had already read those two plus several more Cisco articles, all to no avail. I put my (very old, v1) RV042 back in and had the VPN connection up in about 10 minutes. My eventual conclusion was that the IPSEC capability of the RV180 still has some "opportunities for improvement", and so I returned it yesterday and my new (v3) RV042 will be arriving today. As I recall from the early days of the RV042, it was about a year after its introduction before the VPN on it became usable and stable. But once it did, it was very, very reliable.

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

If your rv042 v1 is working fine, just be ready for all sorts of changes with the rv042 v3.  I know they are like a completely new router...with some new issues.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

There was never a more correct and unexpected comment than that, Samir. Although the basic functions like DHCP, etc, are the same, the VPN is all new and what was working with the RV042 v1 no longer works on the v3. IMHO, whoever at Cisco made the decision for such a radical departure on a major capability like VPN without changing the model number is in need of some serious career counselling.

I was hoping that you would've been part of the many that didn't have any issues.   I really hate that I was right.

What's not working?  I know that if the parameters for a site-to-site aren't perfectly the same, you'll either get strange partial connections (phase 1/2 only working) or nothing at all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: