Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up RVS4000 behind a Uverse Motorola Router

fportner
Level 1
Level 1

Need some help please.

Trying to set up the Cisco VPN router for remote acces to our network.

We have ATT Uverse DSL and it is a Motorola Router, i think NGT 510.

the Uverse router has very limited setup options.

I cannot set it up as a bridge.

The only thing I can figure out is to set the ip passthrough option to the VPN router.

We have a static ip address for our internet service.

I have tried several setup and connection options, but cannot get it to work.

So 2 questions:

1.  How to physically connect the routers and network devices?

2.  How to setup both routers to play nice.

Thank!

1 Reply 1

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Frank,

First you will need to change the default LAN IP address of the RVS4000 to something other than 192.168.1.x since usually all other routers have this common LAN address so let’s say your U-verse is 192.168.1.x we can change the RVS4000 to 192.168.5.x (save settings) router will reboot. Now since the U-verse is your gateway router its best to change the RVS4000 in router mode but you need to be able to add a static router in your U-Verse modem/router.

Static route should look like this

Destination IP – 192.168.5.0

Destination sub – 255.255.255.0

Gateway – 192.168.1.25 (this address being your WAN address on RVS4000)

Now since your U-verse is your gateway router vpn isn’t going to work. RVS4000 needs to be the gateway router for IPSec vpn. I will give you the four ports needed to forward to RVS4000 for IPSec and most likely tunnel might connect but traffic won’t correctly cross. IPSec ports are 443-500-4500-60443.

**Knowledge is Power**

Jasbryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: