Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 Serial console cable not working

Hi,

I have a Cisco SG300-10 and I want to be able to access the console using serial cable. The SG-300 has a serial DB9 Female for console input and require a null modem cable.

I have try 2 different  commercial null modem cable without success. I even build my own null cable using only pin 2,3,5 of the DB9 without success. Using putty,  I not receiving any answer from the managed switch

Have you a commercial partnumber for a null modem serial cable 6 feet DB9-F to DB-9F working for the SG300

If not, have you the pinout of the null modem cable.

11 Replies 11

Glenn Martin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Daniel, I'll have to get the pin-outs for this cable. or the part number.

Thanks

Glenn

My Cisco rep said there was no Cisco part for this and told me to get an off-the-shelf cable.  I tried three cables with different pinouts but got no result.  I don't have the means to build custom cables.

We need a better answer!

Double check this isn't a baud rate issue - When I connected to my SG300 via. console I had to set my baud rate in PuTTY to 115200.

Cheers,

Callum

I also have this problem.  Off the shelf cables don't work

ApoloPE
Level 1
Level 1

Have you solved this problem? because I have this problem too.

Cisco_SG300_switch.png

Hello,

Is the image how you resolved this issue? Null modem adapter to blue console cable to usb serial converter? Along with following the instructions for Putty? 

I have a dying SG-300-28P that we do not know the IP too nor most likely the password. I can tell you my heart slumped when I saw the serial in the back and not a RJ45 port.

Thank you for any assistance.

sean.akers
Level 1
Level 1

My SG300-10 & SG300-20 work perfectly with: 

StarTech.com MXT100FF Straight Through Serial Cable - DB9 F/F, Gray - F/F, 6 feet
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00066HP2E/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_LdRxDb8VJN5N1

coupled with:

Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev D Chipset) by Plugable Technologies

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00425S1H8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_3fRxDb4V1MGF8

PuTTY Settings 115200 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity , no flow control

The secret sauce was a straight-through cable and not a null modem cable. 

Edit - I now have this working 

Startech ( With Prolific 2303 RA  IC)  USB to Male DB9  adapter + straight through Comms Cable  - Did work 

FDTI  USB to Female Serial Cable - never worked 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: