We have a RV016 that is using two broadband connectionss: 768k SDSL and Comcast Broadband (16+M). Speed test behind the router come between 1-5M Downloand... Speed tests connected directly to the Comcast modem are10-20M (varies based on geographical location of speed test server)
I just upgraded to the latest firmware hoping that would help. We have about 20 computers on our network. The connection times above are the same during the day and in the early morning when no one is here.
What else should I check? Any ideas why the Router would throttle the connection?
Does it happen at certain times of the day, such as peak times or is it random. You can do some modifications on the router to increase your spead. Under the firewall tab there is a tab for SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection), this scans each packet coming into the router thus decreasing your speed. If you disable this function your speeds will improve drastically. Hope this helps.
Turning off SPI seemed to help a little, but not much.
Time of day does not seem to make much difference. It seems to be pretty consistant... we never see anywhere close to the 20Mbps we see plugged directly into the cable modem.
Any other settings I can try?
I know that this may seem a little far fetched, but I have seen the MTU setting cause a problem like this before. Try editing the WAN connections and manually setting the MTU to 1492, then test the speed again.
I know that you said you upgraded to the latest firmware version. What version are you running? Have you changed or modified any of the settings under - System Management > Bandwidth Management?
What are the speed test you are seeing from one location. It is going to be a bit slower going through a router than what it is directly connected to the modem. Are you plugging directly into the router when you are performing the speed test, or are you going through some switches?
I am doing speedtests using speakeasy.net/speedtest
Plugged Directly into the Cable modem, I am getting:
17728 kbps Up/2499kbps Down
Same PC... test done right after about test... unplugged from cable modem, plugged directly into RV016:
6658kps Up/ 3529kbps Down
Other PCs that are plugged into other switches that are plugged into the router see similar speeds as when plugged directly into the RV016.
I have an option you can try and see if this works. Log in under port management and go to port setup. Scroll down to the wan1 and set the priority to high. If you want you can turn of the auto negotiating and see if that helps.
I would call in to the SBSC and let them open up a case and do some troubleshooting with you on it. Their number is 866-606-1866.
Finally got a chance to call tech support... only other thing the support rep suggested is to reset to factory defaults and manually reset everything. I did that and it did not make any difference. I then unplugged everything from the router except for the one computer I was testing from and it worked fine... after replacing another switch, finally determined it was a cable running from the router to another switch. Replaced the cable and it works fine now. One cable was effecting network speed for every computer on the network. (Even computers that were plugged directly into the router)
I downloaded and upgraded to 18.104.22.168-tm this morning.
I have not modified any of those settings. We've had bandwidth problems for over a year... Comcast had several line problems that they have finally fixed, now we have to figure out what is on our end. The speeds used to be about the same if you were plugged directly into the modem or directly into the router.... now the speeds plugged directly into the modem are ok, but not if you are plugged into the router.