Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Small Branch Equipment Question

A small remote site is going to need a dedicated 10mb connection to our Main Campus. Probably an 10mb ELAN connection(not decided as of yet). The site will be small - no bigger than 2500 sq feet with small walls possibly. Only one VLAN will be needed and we won't need any voice applications or back-up WAN ports. The site will provide connectivity for approximately 15 people. I've been looking at the 800 series routers for a solution. Do you think the 860 with the built-in 802.11 AP will suffice? I have a couple of concerns:

Does the 860 have CLI management?

Will I be able to create a secure, encrypted tunnel between the 860 and a 2811 router on our Main Campus side? The 2811 has a 10mb ELAN secure tunnel on one interface already. I will purchase another interface card for this new, remote site VPN connection

Will the built-in AP give me coverage for the sq footage? I understand that there are extenuating circumstances to be concidered but, generally speaking?

From the video spec I viewed, the presenter said it had "basic security". What does that actually mean? This concerns me, as I want to built a secure WAN connection.

Finally, does the 800 series fit this application or are there other Cisco products I should consider?

Thanks, Pat.

CreatePlease to create content