Views
Helpful
Replies

SR 520 Router No Longer Provides DHCP Address

stoteda
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am configuring a Cisco SR 520 for a small business network.  I successfully configured it and synched to the ADSL (AT&T) line.  I had the network up and was configuring NAT.  I was able to successfully connect to the Internet, and then I restarted the router.   At this point, it did not autonegotiate a DHCP lease to the PC I was using for configuration.

I am no longer able to connect it at all.  I tried restarting the router, but this did not correct the issue.  I then restarted the router while holding down the reset button with a paper clip, but this did not seem to restore factory defaults since 192.168.75.1 was still not responding to the config assistant or even ping..  I am not able to get connectivity to the router, so I have no way to configure it any longer.

Is there a way to restore factory defaults, or a way to determine how to reset the SR 520 to start the DHCP service again?

Thanks.

Steve

5 Replies 5

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can find the appropriate default configuration file for your SR520 model here:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-5167

Then TFTP it to your flash and copy it to startup-config, then reload.

This is a clean slate....

Thanks for the quick reply.

I assume that I will need to use the console port on the SR 520 through a serial jack on a computer.

I had been using the Configuration Assistant, not the CLI port.

Once I make sure I have the correct file in the startup-config directory, will it use this file during a normal boot?  Or do I need to hold the reset pin down during the first 5 seconds?

Oh even better.  I believe CCA allows you to restore the SR520 to factory defaults via the maintenance drawer.

There is a RESET/RESTART GUI in that drawer.

Try that firt by all means!!!  CCA 2.1 is the latest CCA:

http://www.cisco.com/go/configassist

If that didnt work, then you would telnet/SSH to the IP address of the SR520 on the data lan and TFTP the default config to the router and do what I said and then just reload the router.

But to avoid all these time consuming steps, try CCA first.....

Steve

I am impressed by how quick and accurate the web support is.  Kudos to Cisco.

I used the restart feature from the CCA 2.1 maintenance drawer initially, but the router lost communication with the PC.

I am having trouble setting up Hyper terminal.  I just read a post that I should use PuTTY instead.  I am about to download PuTTY...is this possible that Hyper terminal won't work properly?

PuTTY worked fine and I was able to review the existing config file.  I ended up copying the factory default by entering each command by hand to get the router boot strapped.  It took a while, but worked.  Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: