cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRP 541W wireless cuts off daily

jpetrocelli
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new SRP 541W with v. 1.2.4 firmware.

Daily, (random times) I have to do a hard reset in order to get the wireless up and running.  It works great and then with no warning, no other issues, the wireless just stops.  The wired connections still work just fine. 

Everything comes up perfectly fine after it reboots, until the next day when I have to reboot it again.

Has anyone heard of this issue before?

6 Replies 6

jpetrocelli
Level 1
Level 1

Anybody?

Hello Joseph,

To my knowledge there are not any major known issues with the devices having faulty wireless components. It may be a localized problem.

First thing first, ensure you're on the latest firmware 1.2.4

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/routers_switches/SRP_500_series/index.html-tab-Resources

After the firmware upgrade, give the unit a factory default reset using the reset button, holding for 30 seconds or so.

Once this is done, check to see if the wireless drops continue. If so, you can try to further narrow the problem via the device or the wireless clients/ environment.

If you continue to drop wireless connection, check your wireless connection status speed. As example, connecting at 54 mbps, it should always remain connected at 54 mbps. It shouldn't ever go down. If there is a fluctuation, going down, there are some interferences making problems for you.

If the mbps seems stable, try to use a non-mix mode connection such as G only. Ensure the channel is static assigned as 1, 6 or 11. If you use channel 11 and there are some drops, then change to 6 or 1.

Also ensure the device is placed optimal, central to the connection, in an elevated position, away from metal, reflective or absorbent objects. Ensure the antennas are placed vertically.

Lastly, you may also check the wireless connections nearby using a tool called INSSIDER, this is a free download.

http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

If your unit continues to drop connections after all this information give the SBSC a call any time.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks for the replies.  I am running 1.2.4.  I tried doing a reset but the problem persists.  I've tried n only, mixed, bg, etc, all different channels.  I don't think its an interference issue.  Its not that I just cant connect, its that the unit stops broadcasting completely until you recycle the power.  I am broadcasting two different SSIDs (yes I tried cutting it back to one) and they both stop broadcasting.  It's as if the radio shuts off. 

All of the wired connections still work just fine.  It's odd.  It's totally random.  Sometimes its 3 times a day, and then it'll take 3 days.  I think I'll call cisco for a replacement unless anyone has any ideas...Should I try to reinstall the firmware?

@Jai, anywhere in between 6 and 20 depending on the time of day.

Any update on this wireless dropping off issue ?

I have the exact same problem with the wireless.   Every day on a random interval, the wireless signal drop all the client off then reestablish the connection but no internet.  The client on the wired are fine.   The only way to restore the wireless service is a hard reboot but it takes about ~30min - 45min to stablize the wireless connection.   This is terrible and is fulled of  frustration with a CISCO SOHO product.   The router is for a small office with < 15 people and I have better luck with lower end equipment from Linksys and Netgear.  

Model:SRP541W, GE WAN, 802.11n FCC, 4FXS/1FXO
Version ID:V01
Hardware Version:3.0.0
Boot Version:1.1.19 (Aug 24 2010 - 20:50:42)
Firmware Version:1.2.4 (003) Jan 11 2012

I too am having issues with this Wireless Router. I am running Firmware version 1.2.6. dated May 13, 2013. I have reflashed the unit and reset to factory defaults. 

What happens is that the wireless will authenticate and then fails to pull IP address from DHCP. 

This behavior just started a day ago and nothing has changed on the router.

jketteridge
Level 1
Level 1

How many wireless clients connecting ??

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App