cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRP527W - setup - cannot find web console to setup

kiwibro01
Level 1
Level 1

I've just purchased a couple of SRP527W routers. I've been unable to even browse to the default 192.168.15.1 to start my configuration. My local network is 192.168.1.x. At risk of showing my stupidity, what am I doing wrong.

Kiwibro01.

5 Replies 5

Andrew Hickman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

Sounds like you have a network conflict between the SRPs and your local network.

Disconnect the SRP from the local network (I assume you have some switches or something?) and connect your PC directly to the SRP.  Ensure that the PC is configured to use DHCP to get its addressing automatically.

You should then be able to connect to the 192.168.15.1 address.  Make sure that you log in using admin/admin, not cisco/cisco if you want to access all features.

You can then reconfigure the LAN (VLAN) interface to match your 192.168.1.0 network addressing.

Please note that the SRP is configured by default to act as a DHCP server.  If you already have a server managing IP addresses in your network, disable DHCP on SRP.

For the above, if you want the SRP to be a DHCP server, change the IP address of the SRP in the DHCP server definition that is assigned to the VLAN interface.  If you don't want the SRP to be a DHCP server, just change the setting on the VLAN interface from DHCP Server to Static IP and manaually configure your 192.168.1.0 network address there.

Once you've done that, reconnect the SRP to your network and continue to use your 192.168.1.1 scheme.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy

I have advanced this a little further.

I have  followed your instructions above; namely statically linking directly to  192.168.15.1. In this mode I can ping via CMD - but I have no access via  the web console (192.168.15.1).

When attempting to connect via DHCP - I'm getting no response - from ping or the web console.

Doing a ipconfig /renew - the message is "...unable to  contact your DHCP server". I can telnet to the ip address...but cannot  login to it (not sure if this is even possible.

I'm using Win7 64. I have two SRP routers, and have  replicated the same across two separate computers. We cannot access the  routers DHCP server.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

MIkeJ.

Hi Mike,

This sounds odd - especially if both of your SRPs are behaving in the same way.  Ok, so your PC is directly connected to one of the SRP LAN ports - no other devices connected whatsoever - right? 

When you statically configure your PC with an IP address - 192.168.15.2/24 or something - you can ping the SRP at 192.168.15.1, but you can't get to that address with an Internet browser?  You mention that you can telnet - but this should never be possible, as port 23 isn't available on the SRP.  When the PC is reconfigured for DHCP, it can't get an address from the SRP?

First thing I can suggest is that you try to factory reset the SRP by holding the reset button for 10 seconds or more.  If this doesn't correct the situation, then I think you should get the device replaced (you can call out Small Business Support Center to arrange this if necessary).

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andrew

For the record - I figured it. Turns out the powersupply was incorrect, which was my fault as I used a supply from another Cisco router. Guess you'd say I assumed.

Lesson #1. Because it says Cisco, and has the same plug, don't assume it will work.

Thanks Mike,

Ah yes, that could explain it :-).  Always match the DC output rating of the power adapter to the input rating marked on the device.

It's particular easy to mix SPA500 phone adapters (5VDC) with the SRP500 (12VDC).

Regards,

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: