cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Support for DHCPv6-PD on RV180W / RV180?

Sango
Level 1
Level 1

I was talking with Cisco support and they asked me to create a new discussion since it seems like the existing discussion had stopped.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11629126/does-rv180w-support-dhcpv6-pd

I am having the similar issues with other users because this router does not have support for DHCPv6-PD and I am also on Comcast.

Is there a chance there will be any support for this?

11 Replies 11

zyordy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Matthew,

It looks like the RV180/RV180W do support IPv6, and DHCPv6. Prefix delegation should be built into the DHCPv6 protocol. Basically, the ISP will give you a prefix that you can use at the LAN level. If the ISP follows the current IPv6 convention, they'll give you a /64 to use on your local LAN. Is there any more specific issue that you're having trouble with?

Here's an article about how to enable dual-stack (IPv4/IPv6) DHCP on the RV180s:

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=dcae8800c1a94864bb8c1301d08443b2_DHCPv6_Configuration_on_RV180_and_RV180W.xml&pid=2&converted=0

Here's an article about how to configure your local LAN with IPv6 once you've received an IPv6 address:

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=d4969d9b961046b6be114c0aef608dd7_IPv6_LAN__Local_Network__configuration_on_the_RV180_and_RV18.xml&pid=2&converted=0

Hope that helps!

-Zach

Hi Zach,

I tried the 2 KB's yesterday however it did not work while I was trying to determine what was wrong.

Upon further researching besides the first thread I posted, I also found two other threads which  to support that the prefix delegation extension is not supported.  Even the manual does not mentioned it, unless I look at a different model, such as the RV325 which does have it (see page 19 of it).

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Cisco-RV180-lacks-DHCPv6-PD-suggestions-for-wired-only-quot-dual/td-p/2084298

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12147696/does-rv180-support-dhcpv6-pd-firmware-10310

One of my main issues is that attempting to VPN, would result in a connection failure.  Also using the ipv6 test site (test-ipv6.com) would result in a failure as well.  Using a direct connection (removing the RV180 out of the equation) into my Arris Surfboard 6121 or use Comcast supplied Arris TG862G, I can VPN and the ipv6 tests passes.

I need this feature to be available and functional.

zyordy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Matthew,

After reading through the posts that you linked, it looks like somebody has confirmed that the newest firmware for the RV180 has not included DHCPv6-PD. You've got a few options if you're looking for IPv6 addresses - you can go with a device that's been approved by Comcast to work with IPv6, you could possibly go with another internet service provider that could give you IPv6 but wouldn't require PD, or you could potentially work with Comcast to configure a static IPv6 address and make sure that space was reserved. It looks like the main purpose of prefix delegation is to help automate some of the IPv6 process, though it still may be possible to configure your IPv6 settings manually and statically.

-Zach

Hi Zach,

Switching ISPs would be not be feasible since more of a inconvenience than anything else since there is not any other provider as fast as Comcast around my area.  Also Comcast has an approved list only for DOCSIS devices, which is not applicable to routers.

I was hoping that I could get a hold of the developers here at Cisco (since the Cisco rep on the phone told me the Dev's do check here) that something could be done.

Looking back on the first thread, it looked like a firmware update enabled IPv6 on the RV042G.  Why not this?

I maybe forced to get a whole new product to replace this with a new Cisco product.  RV130 and RV325 seems to to be the ideal replacement since it has the DHCPv6-PD from reading the administration manual on the Cisco website.

In looking at the emulator for the RV130, my educated (i.e., strong) guess is it will not work with Comcast's DHCPv6 w/PD. Why? In the emulator, I do not see a Prefix Delegation option on the LAN screen. Note this field is present on the WAN screen for the RV220W (emulator and the real live one I own).

For the RV220W emulator, see where the enable prefix delegation field is present on both the WAN and LAN configuration screens. My experience in getting a very similar router to the RV220W (but not from Cisco) is that these two fields -- on the WAN and on the LAN -- must be enabled to make things work with Comcast's DHCPv6 w/PD.  So I'm both posting my opinion, and asking if you ever got this to work, on either model, or have you confirmed from Cisco if wither model will work?

I'm still waiting for some beta firmware for the RV220W I recently bought, to get it's IPv6 working with Comcast, and I'll paste below the configuration I 1) successfully use in the working competing router (the internal firmware -- from Cavium seems to be very similar), and 2) expect to work in the RV220W.

Configuration I expect will work in the RV220W:

IP Mode > IPv4 and IPv6 Dual-Stack (of course)

WAN (Internet) Connection Type > DHCPv6

DHCPv6 Address Settings > Stateless Address Auto Configuration       

Enable Prefix Delegation > Checked  -- There are two of these fields, this one is in the IPv6 WAN (Internet) screen)

DHCP Status > Enable DHCPv6 Server

DHCP Mode > Stateless

Enable Prefix Delegation > Checked -- Second of the two fields, this one is in the IPv6 LAN (Local Network ) screen.

Router Advertisement Status> Enable (checked)

Advertise Mode > Unsolicited Multicast

RA Flags > Other = checked and Managed = unchecked

Networking > IPv6 > Router Advertisement > Prefix Table > Make no entries here – the values Comcast’s DHCPv6 give to the router will show up in here automatically (about every 24 hours).  In fact you cannot edit or delete the automatic values than show up in here.

Don’t change anything from the default is it’s not listed above, in particular the IPv6 Address Pool Table and the List of Prefixes for Prefix Delegation are both left blank.  For the former, it sound’s counter-intuitive but that is how it works on the competing/similar router.

IP Mode > IPv4 and IPv6 Dual-Stack (of course)

WAN (Internet) Connection Type > DHCPv6

DHCPv6 Address Settings > Stateless Address Auto Configuration       

Enable Prefix Delegation > Checked  -- There are two of these fields, this one is in the IPv6 WAN (Internet) screen)

DHCP Status > Enable DHCPv6 Server

DHCP Mode > Stateless

Enable Prefix Delegation > Checked -- Second of the two fields, this one is in the IPv6 LAN (Local Network ) screen.

Router Advertisement Status> Enable (checked)

Advertise Mode > Unsolicited Multicast

RA Flags > Other = checked and Managed = unchecked

Networking > IPv6 > Router Advertisement > Prefix Table > Make no entries here – the values Comcast’s DHCPv6 give to the router will show up in here automatically (about every 24 hours).  In fact you cannot edit or delete the automatic values than show up in here.

Don’t change anything from the default is it’s not listed above, in particular the IPv6 Address Pool Table and the List of Prefixes for Prefix Delegation are both left blank.  For the letter, it sounds counter-intuitive but that is how it works on the competing/similar router.

And one last point, sort of a mini-rant:

Using these SOHO “small business class” routers,  we’re in the middle of two groups of routers (and router users) that all seem to work fine with Comcast’s IPv6 implementations. Group # 1, the typical home user, for which Comcast has been working with the router vendors to make both 1) DHCPv6 w/PD work, and 2) one button configuration for DHCPv6 w/PD work.  The list of those routers is here, http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/?homegateway.  Comcast seems to encourage the average  layman/user to use those routers first.  Noted that they do not ever discourage anyone else from using anything else, in fact they seem to be exceedingly helpful on internet forums (DSL Reports and the Comcast forums), but completely not-ready for call-in questions on their customer support phone banks.

Group #2, AFAICS, are users of Cisco IOS routers, they post their manual IOS configurations (DSl reports) and all seems to work fine.  We’re in between the two, these SOHO routers do not fall into group #1, and they are not group #2 (Cisco IOS capable). End of Mini-rant.

Reply back if you want the links to where people from Comcast support explain how the whole DHCPv6 W/PD is supposed to work on their system.

I just got the RV130 yesterday and can confirm it does have the Prefix.  I think you meant to say the RV325 doesn't have it since I checked the emulator there.

Looks like I'm good now as the IPv6 test works.

I'm still running into the VPN issue for some reason but I'll make a new thread since it's a different problem.

I did mean the RV130. From what I know, it will need the prefix delegation check box on two different screens, once on the IPv6 WAN screen (which it has) and once on one of the IPv6 LAN screens. Note that the RV220W has the PD field twice, once on a WAN screen and once on a LAN screen.

Are you testing using http://test-ipv6.comcast.net, and it works?  The other thing you should be seeing is on the IPv6 router advertisement screen prefixes the router gets from Comcast will start populating the list (you can't edit them is how you know ther are from your isp), you get app. new one line each 24 hours, even if the prefix is the same as the last 24 hours.

Hope this helps, and am curious if the RV130 does with with Comcast.

It seems to be working with Comcast for the most part since it does pass the test for http://test-ipv6.comcast.net.

I noticed in the IPv6 router advertisement, it area is blank.  Could this be an issue?  If so, this could be tied to why my IPV6 DNS fields are blank from viewing the network card properties and still failing on VPN.  I create a new discussion here since it would be more appropriate to discuss it there.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12303511/rv130-ipv6-dns-server-problem-and-vpn

I'll reply in the other thread, ... because I am seeing a very similar IPv6 issue on an RV220W

Based on my experiences with Comcast IPv6, the instructions and images in those two linked documents, in particular the second linked document, do not prove nor do they show support for IPv6 Prefix Delegation, commonly referred to as "DHCPv6 w/PD".

I can say this based on having Comcast's IPv6 working fine for the last 18 months (virtually no issues over that time), on a competing SOHO router, and am currently trying -- unsuccessfully -- to get it working on an RV220W.  In the RV220W there are check box fields for "Prefix Delegation" in the three two sections: WAN, LAN and Router Advertisement (all in the Network > IPv6 section). If you don't see those or similar fields, I'm certain there's no hope, i.e., the router will not know to do PD via some other combination of fields and settings -- you need Stateless Mode (on the LAN side), the "O" flag {Other Flag} set, and Prefix Delegation via RADVD -- the so-called Router Advertisement Daemon.

I'm not sure if the RV220W will correctly do DHCPv6 w/PD, I currently have a ticket into Cisco's Small Biz support group, and am waiting for a resolution. The presumption is it will or should work, based on their replies so far, and based on what I see in the RV220W's configuration screens.

EDIT: To positively confirm the above points about the RV120s vs. the RV220, look at the online device emulators, found here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/911/cisco-small-business-online-device-emulators

Assuming Cisco is diligent about keeping these emulators to exactly match the device's firmware, note that in the RV220W, "Enable Prefix Delegation" is present for the RV220W under Networking > IPv6: 1) IPv6 WAN Internet, and 2) IPv6 Lan (Local Network), whereas in the RV120W emulator that field is not present in those two sections, ... although in the RV120W the menu sections for Router Advertisement and Advertisement Prefix are there, but the implication is  you have to manually add the prefixes, ... and you have no way of knowing what prefix Comcast is delegating to you.

Thanks for the link to the emulators;  I never knew this existed and it was pretty useful.

The RV180 series, screen has a similar screen like the RV120, which has the Router Advertisement and Advertisement Prefix.  The implications which you mentioned, would make it impossible to know what Comcast is using and therefore the RV180 cannot be used with IPv6 efficiently leading to the issues I am having.

Looking at the emulators, it looks like RV220W and  RV130 series have the Prefix Delegation.  I am a bit surprised that the RV325 mentions PD in the administration guide but the emulator doesn't show this.

Out of the two units which has what I am looking for, which unit would be recommended?  130 being a newer unit as it was released a few months ago.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: