cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Think my console port is dead on my RV340

train_wreck
Level 1
Level 1

I have used PuTTY with numerous baud rates (9600, 38400, 115200), but I do not seem to get any output at all via the console port. Do I have to first log into the web UI and enable it somehow? (Have never seen such a requirement before on a router; the console port is the basic way to interface with routers via CLI, and as such should work even if the HTTP interface becomes disabled/nonfunctional in some way).

Before you ask, yes my serial port and cable are fine, I use the same one to connect to Cisco ISRs and other competing brands routers nearly every day in my lab.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ktonev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Don't worry your console port is not dead, however, it is currently not functional as it is designed for future use. Please use the GUI for your configuration needs.

Hope that helps!
Kris.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

ktonev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Don't worry your console port is not dead, however, it is currently not functional as it is designed for future use. Please use the GUI for your configuration needs.

Hope that helps!
Kris.

I bought RV340W and cant use console, realy disappointing thing that console port not working at all. Maybe someone have information about future use, i mean when?

@ktonev how that possible? Cisco did advertise console port for RV340 and even provide a console cable. We paid money for the product Cisco advertised, it's not a loan money for future features!

Do you have plans to make this port work in next firmware update or should we file a complaint to FTC (ftc.gov)?

Thank you, hope for understanding.

Sigh... Having issues with saving my configs / mgmt website access, so I thought I'd use the console connection. Then I find this... :(

Hi. A would appreciate any help with a problem - an rv340 is letting me in the GUI (cisco cisco) but instead of asking me to change the default password, the webpage just seem to not loading... 

Don't have anything in the menu column except of "User Accounts", the webpage is blanc. The upper menu bar is working - I can press the information and help icons, can logout and then relogin.. 

But that's it... 

If there is no way to connect to the router via console , how can I flash the firmware ?

Try clearing your web browser cache or using a different browser, sometimes the cache for the web interface gets corrupted. Apart from that, I think all you can do is hard reset with the reset button and hope it comes back. I have personally seen a hard reset "fail" to complete and give similar symptoms to what you see. In that case I had to factory reset 3 or 4 different times.

BTW, these things are a dumpster fire of security pwnage, especially now that Cisco has said they won't issue any more security updates. I would seriously recommend ditching it and looking elsewhere, if you can.

Thanks for the answer.
I was able to reset it by powering on and of with 5 seconds delays for 5
times.
It helped restoring the default firmware and then I was able to login and
update the firmware.