cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Three Getting Started Questions with RV180

mallardnathan
Level 1
Level 1

I recently purchased the RV180 router. I have a few quick "getting started" questions about using it:

1. Is the "Static DHCP" the screen I need to use in order to reserve DHCP addresses (see attached)? That's where I've been reserving all my DHCP addresses with. I'm just making sure I have the correct screen.

2. Do I need to do anything to "backup" my configuration, or will my settings still be around when the RV180 reboots?

3. Do I need to run a check for firmware update on the RV180, and how do I update the firmware on the RV180 (as well as the SG200-18), or does it usually come with the latest firmware out-of-the-box? If I go ahead and put a service contract on the RV180 and SG200-18, will I receive my firmware updates automatically? Are the part numbers for the service contracts the same for the RV180 and SG200-18?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

1. Is the "Static DHCP" the screen I need to use in order to reserve DHCP addresses (see attached)? That's where I've been reserving all my DHCP addresses with. I'm just making sure I have the correct screen.

Yes, that is the correct location to set DHCP reservations.

2. Do I need to do anything to "backup" my configuration, or will my settings still be around when the RV180 reboots?

Whenever you hit save after making a change you configuration is saved and will survive a reboot.

If you would like to save  backup copy of your configration file just go to Administration >> Backup/Restore settings.

3. Do I need to run a check for firmware update on the RV180, and how do I update the firmware on the RV180 (as well as the SG200-18), or does it usually come with the latest firmware out-of-the-box? If I go ahead and put a service contract on the RV180 and SG200-18, will I receive my firmware updates automatically? Are the part numbers for the service contracts the same for the RV180 and SG200-18?

You will need to manually update the firmware on the RV180.  That firmware is available here:

RV180 Firmware

It is simply one file, that you upload under Administration >> Firmware Upgrade.  There is no bootcode for the routers (like there was with your switch)

You can locate this in the future the same way you did the SG200 firmware (because this link may change) on the Cisco website.

As for the service contract, the part number for both of those devices will be CON-SBS-SVC2.

Hope that helps, and I will try to get to your other questions sometime today as well.  Also since you just bought there you are of course welcome to call in and get some support over the phone, both your devices do come with 1 year of technical support, and it sounds like you are getting or have contracts, so I guess make that 3 years.

Cisco Small Business Support Center Contact Numbers

Thanks again for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Yes, that is the correct location to set DHCP reservations.

Whenever you hit save after making a change you configuration is saved and will survive a reboot.

If you would like to save  backup copy of your configration file just go to Administration >> Backup/Restore settings.

You will need to manually update the firmware on the RV180.  That firmware is available here:

RV180 Firmware

It is simply one file, that you upload under Administration >> Firmware Upgrade.  There is no bootcode for the routers (like there was with your switch)

You can locate this in the future the same way you did the SG200 firmware (because this link may change) on the Cisco website.

As for the service contract, the part number for both of those devices will be CON-SBS-SVC2.

Hope that helps, and I will try to get to your other questions sometime today as well.  Also since you just bought there you are of course welcome to call in and get some support over the phone, both your devices do come with 1 year of technical support, and it sounds like you are getting or have contracts, so I guess make that 3 years.

Cisco Small Business Support Center Contact Numbers

Thanks again for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

Thanks for the info! Great to know about the DCHP reservations and backing up the firmware config. I did have to reboot recently, and my settings did save, so I got my question answered on that one early. :-)

Thanks for the instructions about updating the firmware as well. I did get it updated.

I did go ahead and purchase service contracts on both of my items, so I'm good to go for calling in 24/7 for the next three years, plus I can open tickets now.

Thanks again for your help!