cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Too many errors after upgrading the firmware to 1.0.3.10 on Cisco RV180W wireless router

sungwu1309
Level 1
Level 1

My company purchased one Cisco RV180W wireless router few days ago and it worked normal with default firmware version of 1.0.0.30. Today I upgraded the firmware to version 1.0.3.10, the users can still access this router via wired and wireless devices, but on the dashboard I observed two major problems, one is the CPU utilization always shows 100%, another is the more and more errors appearing, on the Syslog Summary panel "Error" log has been up to 625 and is still increasing, there is one message repeatedly displaying in the log, see in below:

Wed Nov 13 13:55:25 2013(GMT+0800) [rv180w][System][PLATFORM] /pfrm2.0/bin/bwLimitConfig /tmp/system.db 18 dot11STA 100 failed. status=-1

Who can tell me what does this error message mean and how to elinate this error message ?  also how to deal with 100% CPU utilization ?

Thanks.

12 Replies 12

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

If the firmware update wasn't necessary, please just revert back to the firmware that worked.

As far as the bugs you've found, factory default the configuration and build your configuration from scratch.  This may solve the issue.  If it does not, disconnect everything but the power to the unit and reset it.  Plug nothing else in except a LAN to check the cpu.  Does this improve?  If it is still 100% when it is doing nothing, then something major has to be wrong with the newer firmware.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Indeed, I notice the same 100% CPU with my RV180W after updating to 1.0.3.10. Given that it still (mostly) works. It would be nice if we knew whether it was a bug in the reporting page of if these poor things are truely having an issue. Perhaps one of our Cisco pals could comment?

I'd rather not revert back unless Cisco formally recommends we roll back. (Recall the firmware)

Each firmware release fixs and breaks things.  I like to treat each firmware as a different feature set, not necessarily a version better than the previous.  If you look at it this way, you'll have less of an issue reverting to a firmware that worked.

The sad thing is that there probably is a bug and you've discovered it.  Now, to get to the root cause and find a solution may take months.  Do you have that time to wait?  Cisco will never formally recommend to roll back the firmware online, although if you call in they may.

I'd just use the golden rule of IT--if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.  Unless you have a specific problem you're trying to solve by upgrading the firmware, I would simply revert and not worry about this until the next firmware release.  Then you can try that version, which will hopefully include a fix for whatever issue is causing this.    

Hi,

I'm new here in the Support Community. Last weekend I bought a Cisco RV180W and I did the firmware update to 1.0.3.10. Now, I have also the issue with the 100 % cpu usage in the dashboard. Is that only a display error or is this really the current usage of the cpu?

I think here could be the same issue:

https://www.cisco.com/assets/sol/sb/RV180W_Emulators/RV180W_Emulator_v1.0.3.14/home.htm

But the version of the emulator is 1.0.3.14 and that issue isn't solved. I would like to have a firmware with not so much issues or a comforttable work-a-round for each issue. When will Cisco deliver the next version of the firmware?

Thanks

Hi Holger,

I suggest you call the Cisco Small Business Support Center and speak with an engineer. The phone numbers in your area are located here: https://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Regards,
Cindy Toy
Cisco Small Business Community Manager
for Cisco Small Business Products
www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport
twitter: CiscoSBsupport

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

Hello,

i have been looking at different VPN routers over the last few weeks and i was very close to buying the RV180W, but then i stumbled across many posts reffering to firmware issues, one issue is that the cpu sits at 100% useage, i just wondered if this is a bug in GUI or is the CPU actually max'd out? has anyone had any resolution into this?

also the firmware on the emulator is a newer version than is listed on the support page, does anyone know when 1.0.3.14 will be released for download?

when i buy a new product i like to ensure that the system is fully upto date before its put into use but i obviously dont want to add any performance issues from the ofset due to the CPU useage.

i also have a could of questions if anyone can help

the Ipsec VPN, will this work with the Built-in VPN client for apple devices? (New IOS7), i am unable to find a quickvpn application for apple IOS.

is the site-to-site IPSec VPN also compatible with the Cisco Wvrs4400n router?

thanks in advance.

Even though I haven't seen the CPU bug in person, I would tend to think it is really the CPU maxing out.  Just one rogue process can do something like that.

The Ipsec VPN won't work with anything but the cisco quick vpn from what I've read.  However, you can use the PPTP just fine.  I think some people have gotten it working using openvpn, but I may be confused with the netgear forum.

The site-to-site VPN will work fine with the wvrs4400n.  Just be sure both have the exact same settings on the vpn profile and that each site is on a different subnet.    

thanks,

received my RV180w yesterday, updated the firmware to latest available and hard reset the router, it was a little sluggish getting in with the browser but seemed to settle down after a while, can confirm that the CPU is stuck at 100% according to the dashbaord. pptp is setup and running fine, still go to buy a another to create the site to site.

wifi dont seem too clever, im getting better range and performance from bt BT home Hub 3 but i have only enable 1 ssid and havnt setup load balancing yet so might be able to improve it.

i am also getting the following error logged every few minutes, ive enabled logging on everything but that might also be a bug as this is all im getting, lots of log listings displayed in the dashboard but when trying to view the logs nothing can be displayed.

[rv180w][System][PLATFORM] /pfrm2.0/bin/bwLimitConfig /tmp/system.db 18 dot11STA 100 failed. status=-1

just hope that the newer firmware is released soon and that it dont cause too many more bugs.

I don't know if Cisco firmware team has been awared of these two issues ( 100% CPU utilization and "dot11STA 100 failed" error log) in the firmware 1.0.3.10 ? Anyway to report to them ? Thanks.

mattiassercu
Level 1
Level 1

Just did a flash + factory reset to the latest firmware (1.0.3.10)

* Port forwarding is broken again on RV180(W) with a PPPoE connection with firmware 1.0.3.10.

* Access rules are not always processed (outbound traffic blocking or exceptions don't always work).

* After a PPPoE reset from the provider, i see in the dashboard that the pppoe connection is connected, with a new public ip address, but communication between internal LAN and WAN isn't possible anymore. Rebooting the router is the only thing that helps.

more than 1,5 years after purchase, the RV180 is still a useless brick.

Regards

andym8674
Level 1
Level 1

Was on with support today, they ran through older firmware and upgraded to latest version and confirmed CPU display on dashboard, it's apparently a GUI glitch, support was able to confirm the actual CPU usage in the lab was around 60% when the GUI reported 100%

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Well, that's a bit of relief.  I wonder what they would say of the port forwading issue?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: