cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble with RV180 QoS

asolochek
Level 1
Level 1

I have my network setup with vlan 1 as the native on 10.1.0.0/16 subnet, and vlan 2 as the guest network on 10.2.0.0/16.  Both networks are functioning fine, getting to the outside world, etc, but I want to limit the bandwidth available to the guest network.  Currently I'm accomplishing this with our main switch, limiting the rate of vlan2 in general, but this is not ideal.

So I created a guest QoS profile on the RV180, and set it's maximum bandwidth to 1000kbps.  I also created a binding to that profile using the ip range 10.2.1.2-10.2.1.254, because I read in the release notes for the latest firmware than binding on the vlan doesn't work.  Running a speed test app from a machine connected to that guest network, I am still able to achieve maximum speed.  That was with QoS mode set to rate limit.  I also tried it with Priority mode, and tried running the speed test simultaneously on a guest and non-guest host, to see if the guest would get throttled down relative to the other, but it did not.  I have the WAN bandwidth set to 50Mbit, which is actually less than we generally get (the speedtests yield about 64Mbit) so I don't think that's the problem. 

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? 

Thanks.

-Aaron

9 Replies 9

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Aaron, the QoS is outbound only (upload).

WAN QoS profiles let you manage the bandwidth of the traffic flowing from the

secure network (LAN) to the insecure network (WAN).

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Oh, damn. 

Well thanks for the quick reply!

I purchased the RV180 specifically to manage bandwidth from the WAN to the LAN. What are my options?

Hi Richard, the QoS is for upload, LAN to WAN, not the other way around.

If you need this functionality you will need something like a manage switch upstream or a different router.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Any specific product that you can recommend? RV180 is quite buggy even with the last firmware update. It doesn't do what it claims to do, it's boderline false advertising.

RV042G supports bandwidth management, which allows administrators to specify upstream and downstream bandwidth per service (TCP port).

I actually have RV180W. Is there a wireless version of the RV042G or something similar with wireless? The other feature that I thought I was getting with RV180W was WAN Traffic Meter by VLAN which it doesn't do either. Can the RV042G do Traffic Metering by VLAN?

Unfortunately RV042G does not have a WiFi version, nor does it support traffic metering per VLAN.

ccolotticisco
Level 1
Level 1

Why on EARTH produce this device with one way limiting?!  If the RV042G does it why can't this one just limit both ways.  The problem is the RV042G does not have the same VLAN subnet capability built into it like this little unit.  For what reason build in limiting on just upload when it's the download people are hogging and DD-WRT can even do this.  Has anyone flashed an RV180 with DD-WRT instead?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: