cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Troubleshooting new 892FSP router before opening RMA

philvuchetich
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to the Cisco business routers, but have used several consumer grade routers.

This new router appears to be dead on arrival, as it does not want to connect to a LAN PC for initial setup.

According to the documentation, the 892FSP should allow a Windows 7 PC to connect via DHCP for intial router configuration at IP 10.10.10.1.

After turning on the router, the OK light blinks and then stays lit, and the router's light for the ethernet port connected to the computer blinks.  The light for the ethernet port on the PC also blinks. As far as the lights are concerned, it appears to be working.

However, Windows does not get an IP address (it self-assignes 169.254.69.223 as its IP instead of 10.10.10.x that I was expecting). Disconnecting/reconnecting does not work.

Within Windows disabling/enabling the ethernet device does not work.

Setting manual IP settings does not work either (set to IP 10.10.10.2, netmask 255.255.255.248 per other Cisco model recommentations), nor does rebooting the PC, power cycling the router, resetting the router (5+ seconds on the reset button, then the OK light blinked). And I've tried using all of the LAN ports (they all light up and look like they are connected, but no connectivity is shown on Windows)

I've repeated the networking attempts on 3 different PCs, and with different network cables (Cat5, 6,7), all of which were known to work on the gigabit LAN when connected to a different router.

I am trying to login via serial console, but I haven't been able to connect to the console yet.  I am not certain whether accessing the serial console is a PC configuration issue, as I have not previously had a serial connection on the PC.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this device?  If not, the next step is the RMA process for a replacement.

1 Reply 1

philvuchetich
Level 1
Level 1

Followup: After configuring the serial port on a PC, and connecting to the console port (the serial to RJ45 cable was included, by the way), I looked at the confiuration and discovered that the all of the ports and the vlan were delivered as "administratively down", which would explain why connectivity lights are lit but no data is flowing.  It does not appear that the hardware is defective, but that the software was delivered with an initial configuration that did not match the documentation (which said to plug in and perform initial configuration via web browser).

The current resolution plan at this time is to learn basic IOS commands to configure the router, perhaps enough to get a port working, and to then configure via browser, or to learn more about IOS now and bypass the browser.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: