cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unknown host names ( rv220w )

splorkster
Level 1
Level 1

I just bought a Cisco rv220w and noticed that 90% of the connected devices read as Unknown. I moved from a Netgear WNDR4500 where almost 90% of the items were labeled with their proper names. Those names which were left as Unknown, I was able to set their names appropriately.

This new router was quite a bit more expensive than the Netgear, are there any similar options to setting the connected device names or is there a setting I am missing to be able to properly identify the connected devices?

Hopefully, I am missing something small but I have spent 10+ hours trying to figure this our to no avail.

Thanks for any help.

1 Reply 1

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Richard,

I have used the RV220W at home since it was released. I have noticed the same thing, on mine the only host names that I see are computers and network attached storage devices. I have several IP cameras, printers, etc. and they all show as "Unknown". This has been the same on every firmware release. I have not found any settings in the router or LAN devices that can change this, it appears to be a limitation of the router.

I will say that I have found this limitation easy to overlook as the RV220W is stellar in every other way that is important to me, especially with the latest firmware installed. It was expensive for a home router but it has served me well. It also has a limited lifetime warranty which is not easy to find in a consumer model.

- Marty

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: