cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade to RV180?

mallardnathan
Level 1
Level 1

Our business is currently using the RVS4000 router, but I see where Cisco has released the new RV180. We're on the Business Reimbursement Program where we could trade in our router and upgrade to the RV180 by paying the difference. Question is, is it worth the upgrade? Is the RV180 vastly different from the RVS4000 or should we just stick with our RVS4000?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey Nathan,

The RV180 runs PPTP, which is a standard protocol included with Windows, many Linux distros, Mac, and iOS (iPhones and iPads). Therefore, PPTP is another great benifit of the new RV180 Series.

In regards to the business reimbursement program, you will want to contact your parter. If you don't have a partner, you can find one in your area by going here: http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openBasicSearch.d

Thank you for posting, and please let us know if we can be of further help.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

davidagu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Nathan,

I use a RVS4000 in an office role at home, myself. Personally, I am proably going to make the ugprade to the RV180 for the following reasons:

• Faster and More Powerful - 10,000 vs 12,000 concurrent connections, 2 mbps vs. 50 mbps(!) VPN throughput.
  • Updated Operating System - The Nikola code base is faster and more secure. 3DES encryption is also included.
  • Newer Features - Full IPv6 support - will help in the future, DNS Proxy, SNMP, more languages, multicast (nice for voip).
  • Wider VPN Support - Support 10 IPSec tunnels vs 5, and has PPTP, which allows Mac and Linux users to connect. This is especially helpful for my uses, as Quick VPN only support Windows.
  • Better Security: ACLs are more flexible, more attach checks, and port mirroring for monitoring. Another big feature is captive portal. You can require users to login and match a database before being admitted to your network.

With the reimbursement program you are part of, you are in a very adventageous position to make the upgrade. I would definately go for it. The main reasons for my forthcoming upgrade will be the updated security, IPv6, and VPN features.

I like the new features of the RV180. Sounds great! Quick question about the PPTP VPN Support. Does that mean it'd work on iPhones as well? Sounds like it.

Also, how do I go about "upgrading" to the RV180 since I'm on that business reimbursement program? I also have an 8 port switch I might upgrade to the latest version as well. Do I need to call Cisco and discuss my upgrade options?

Thanks!

Hey Nathan,

The RV180 runs PPTP, which is a standard protocol included with Windows, many Linux distros, Mac, and iOS (iPhones and iPads). Therefore, PPTP is another great benifit of the new RV180 Series.

In regards to the business reimbursement program, you will want to contact your parter. If you don't have a partner, you can find one in your area by going here: http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openBasicSearch.d

Thank you for posting, and please let us know if we can be of further help.

Sounds good. Great to know the RV180 can VPN with iPhones!

I don't have a Cisco Partner since I ordered these from a retailer, but I'm asking a business contact friend of mine nearby who his Cisco Partner is, so I should be set! Thanks again for your help!

No problem. Feel free to contact us anytime.

-David Aguilar

Cisco Small Business Support Center
1-866-606-1866

Hi Guys,

I was also interested in this SMB router. Fortunately I am working for a distributor company and I had a chance to try also the RV180W and the simple RV180 router which hasn't got AP capabilities.

Pro:
- Every feature is true and works well what you mentioned. I also like it. What you can read in the data sheet are all works and really simple to set everything.

Contra:

Performance

NAT Throughput

800 Mbps

Concurrent Sessions

IPsec VPN Throughput
(3DES/AES)

50 Mbps

In fact the NAT Throughput is far from reality... The real throughput is between 50-60 Mbps. We tried with a 120 Mbps ISP and also tried it with 2 PC (from WAN side to LAN side of course). We also tried with 2 different W type and a simple RV180 and the results are the same.

Considering the 1 Gbps port capabilities (which are OK!) and the expectations of today's (for example the 120 Mbps internet packages) this is really ridiculous!

We tried it with and without every feature (firewall), etc., but now I have to say that this is true for all first version of the RV180 series.

I really hope that the first 1.0.0.30 firmware will be updated soon and the updates will increase the NAT bandwith, because it will be a big-big failure of the Cisco SMB RV series and nobody will buy these type of SMB items .

Thanks for the info! Should I upgrade to the RV180 soon or wait for the firmware update to come out then upgrade? Would I be better off keeping my RVS4000 until after the firmware update?

If you don't need more than 50 Mbps NAT bandwith and if you also don't need more VPN bandwith than 7 Mbps, than change if you excited...

We're about to move to new offices and switch to Cable, so I might wait and tradeup after we get over there. Maybe the firmware update will be out by then. :-) I do rely on NAT for some applications.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: