cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using consumer routers and small business AP's for bridging/repeater functionality.

jarharpe
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone been successful with this setup, if so explain configs? I assume there is an capability issue but I don't have proof. Is there any known issues that i'm not aware of?

1 Reply 1

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think it may be more of an issue that we dont know, and dont spend the time to find out. And before this is interpreted wrong, we must recognize that in Cisco Small Business portfolio, we have 3 categories:  Small Business, Small Business Pro, and Cisco (Classic).

What separates products purpose built for the small business from consumer are often things like network amanagement, redundancy, enhanced feature support and robustness, etc.  We generally dont recommend Small Business Products other than as transactional products with good small business features, than can be used out of the box by the VAR in their practice to meet an immediate need (business requirement) for a price sensitve customer application, but make no claims for testing as part of an integrated solution or having unified management.  Not saying its not possible, just at this margin, we dont do it.  And sometimes its good to post like this because sometimes someone may have good experience interoperating and will share, just not a supported case is all.

Now Small Business PRO and the traditional "Cisco" products do make that claim, and are recommended as solutions along with other Pro (or Cisco) products, and we do have extended support and warranty, and do the addititional work to see interoperability, but not with small business or consumer products.

I am sorry for posting a reply that doesnt answer your question, but it is a good question that we have heard and what I have is our company line on this.

Steve DiStefano   

SE Small Business Sales

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: