Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

vlan tags on a sd208

I have an interesting issue and finding a lack of documentation on the internet.

A customer of mine has two vlans on their network, voice and data.  The managed switches are actually alcatel, default vlan is vlan 1 (data) and each port is qtagged with vlan2 the voice vlan.  Everything there is working as expected.  Plug an alcatel phone into the switch and through port mobility it's on the voice vlan.  PC plugged into the phone is on vlan1.

There are however a couple of sd208's hanging off two different alcatel switches, and uplink ports to the sd208's are configured no differently than the ports above.

The problem is anything plugged into the sd208's is actually working!  I mean there is no problem.  Which in my mind is a problem, since the sd208 is not 802.1q aware.  Shouldn't the tagged traffic just be dropped?  But it appears to be passing tagged traffic to the correct device, and the default vlan on to the pc.

I guess what I'm really looking for is a definitive resource on what the sd208 is doing with tagged traffic.  Anyone know?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Green

vlan tags on a sd208

Hi WS, the sd208 will not support vlan tags but it does support the packet size. However, if I'm not mistaken the sd208 is also somewhat 802.1p aware (as the sb switches do honor this basic qos). So it doesn't surprise me if it doesn't alter or modify the packet since it support the size of the packet.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
2 REPLIES
Green

vlan tags on a sd208

Hi WS, the sd208 will not support vlan tags but it does support the packet size. However, if I'm not mistaken the sd208 is also somewhat 802.1p aware (as the sb switches do honor this basic qos). So it doesn't surprise me if it doesn't alter or modify the packet since it support the size of the packet.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

vlan tags on a sd208

thanks.  yeah mtu is set to 1500...so...without a tcp dump i don't know for sure, but the host device is 802.1q aware (the phone) so the asic in the phone i'm sure is switching the packets approriately.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content