Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Gateway-to-gateway connection between 2 RV042 succesfull, but no ping

frank0009
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm getting a little crazy here, I've installed 2 identical RV042 routers on 2 locations. I installed a Gateway-to-gateway VPN connection, the routers connect with eachother... But I can't ping from one network to another.

I've disabled the firewal entirely (just for testing purposes), and tried pinging with the "diagostic tool" (via System Management) to exclude any problems with my computer. What the heck am I missing here?

MY CONFIG

ROUTER 1

Local Group Setup

IP Only

Group Type: Subnet

IP: 192.168.1.0

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Remote Group Setup

IP Only

IP: 172.16.0.0

subet: 255.255.0.0

Enabled NAT Transfer, etc...

ROUTER 2

Local Group Setup

IP Only

IP: 172.16.0.0

subet: 255.255.0.0

Remote Group Setup

IP: 192.168.1.0

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Same options enabled.

I played around with the IP / Subnet group types. to no avail.. I'm really at a loss here... why doesn't it just work. When I tried the exact same setup last year at the same location it worked perfectly.

7 Replies 7

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

It seems like everything should work fine, especially since you got them to work before.

But I've been where you are, and it's something small that you've missed that makes the configuration between the two different.  Check the logs for clues and just go over both configurations with a fine-tooth comb.  Good luck.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Chris Tremayne
Level 1
Level 1

I just posted a very similar problem.  I did find that when I pinged from office 2 to office 1, it did not work, but when I pinged from office 1 to office 2, it did and then would ping both ways.  My problem is that it stops working after a while.

Do you have keep alive and dead peer detection enabled?  What do you do to get it working again?

Yes, I had keep alive and dpd enabled.  I haven't found a solution yet.

Try disabling dpd.  I noticed that I only have keep alive enabled on my rv016 and remember that when I had both enabled, the tunnel would drop.

Yea.  I read that in a different post.  Didn't seem to make a difference either.

Strange.  So let's try this just to test if it's the router or something else.  Run a constant ping from office 1 to 2 using a workstation at office 1.  See if the tunnel drops then.  If it does, then it's actually something up with one of the routers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: