Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Issues with the RV082

ppomplun1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I am having a weird issue and I am possitive it is me and my lack of knoledge.

I have a VPN tunnel from one RV082 to another, first router has IP range of 192.168.1.0 and the second one has range of 18.18.18.0, the connection works fine, here is where the issue starts, I am at a PC in the 18.18.18.0 network and I ping an IP in the other one e.g. 192.168.1.50 and it pings fine, but when I try to RDP into it or do anything to it I get no response, is it a firewall issue? Is it a NAT issue? I am at a loss, now that IP i mentioned does have RDP enabled and working because it is being port fowarded in the 192.168.1.0 router and I can access it through the public IP.

Also a workstation with a static IP 192.168.1.18 I can ping it if im in the local network but if I am in the remote one I cannot at all.

Any ideas?

7 Replies 7

graham.jones
Level 1
Level 1

Paul,

If you take the port forwarding off does it work then?

I think I've had similar issues with a router and static NAT such that a static NAT'ed server was innacessible from another LAN via a VPN to the router doing the static NAT... I assumed that the replys from the server were being NAT'ed to the server's public IP by the router and sent to the internet rather than back down the VPN.

No change when I disabled the port fowarding. Here is the interesting part, when I VPN in through PPTP I can ping and remote into all the PC's on the other network, but when it is the tunnel created by both my routers it lets me ping but not remote or even browse shared files...

I am so confused, I have tunnels to other sites and they all work fine, it is just to my home router that I have this issue.

Any help is largely apreciated.

>it is just to my home router that I have this issue.

It could be the firewall on your file shares at home that is blocking the access.

In general, when you use PPTP VPN to access resources in a remote LAN, your PPTP client gets an IP address that looks like one of the computers in the remote LAN. But when you access the remote resource over an IPsec tunnel, you don't get an IP address that a PPTP client would get.

There are no firewalls on any of the PC's on the remote LAN nor on my local PC. And yes when I PPTP in I have no issues at all.

Isn't the purpose of an IPsec tunnel to let you do the same as a PPTP withouth having to use PPTP? The router is supposed to know that if you call on a remote LAN IP that it should go throufh the tunnel no? The very weird part is I can PING with no problems, it is just anything else, all firewalls are disabled... I am at a huge loss here.

Paul

Paul,

Is the RV082 on the local LAN the default gateway for the PC you are trying to connect from or is the PC using another device as its default gateway which is then routing the traffic to the RV082?

They are both RV082's, the local LAN uses an RV082 as a gateway and the remote LAN uses an RV082 as a gateway, they are connected via IPsec tunnel. I can ping but thats it... My PC is on the 18.18.18.0 LAN and the other LAN is 192.168.1.0, I can ping any maching but nothing else...

Paul Pomplun

Paul,

Any reason why you're using public address scheme on your local LAN? Also what is the subnet mask for each subnet?

If you do a tracert where does the packets go? If you need faster assistance i would give a call to SBSC @ 1-866-606-1866 and open a support case

Jasbryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: