Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN on the RV042

Rick Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

Good day guys

I have being trying to get this going for a week now.

One RV0 at home and the other at the office both use DYNdns.org to forward their IP to the other.

Im using Gateway to Gateway and have set it up like this

Office router

Local Security Gateway type       Dynamic Ip Domain Name Authentication

(typed in the Domain Name here)

Local Secutity Group type           Subnet

Ip                                              192.168.8.0        (even though the ip of the router is 192.168.8.1)

Subnet                                        255.255.255.0

Remote Security Gateway Type   (same as above)

Domain Name                             (typed that here)

Remote Security Group                Subnet

Ip                                               192.168.7.0

Subnet                                        255.255.255.0

Keying Mode               IKE with Preshared Key

Phase 1 DH Group          Group 1

Phase 1 Encryption          DES

Phase 1 Auth                    MD5

Phase 1 SA Lif Time          28800

Perfect Forward Security    (checked)

Phase 2 DH                       Group 1

Phase 2 Encry                    DES

Phase 2 Auth                         MD5

Phase 2 SA Life Time             3600

Preshared Key                       12345678

The other router is the same only info in Local and Remote settings are reversed

The two will not connect any suggestions

Thanks

Rick

5 Replies 5

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

With "Dynamic IP + Domain Name (FQDN) Authentication" as the Security Gateway Type, the Domain Name field needs to be identical on both sides of the tunnel for the two RV042 routers to authenticate each other.

With "IP + Domain Name (FQDN) Authentication" as the Security Gateway Type, if you select the "IP by DNS Resolved" option for the IP Address field, you would enter a real domain name here. The Domain Name field under the IP Address field is still an arbitrary string for authentication purpose.   

Message was edited by: tekliu

Ok thanks

If I use IP +Domain Name I see that another entry popps up that is grey and its populated with the address my ISP has given me.  When I do the same with the remote it does not populate with the IP but I am assuming thats becasue I dont have the remote router online.  So Im guessing that will populate with the remotes IP addrss if everything is ok when the remote router goes online

Rick

Your understanding is correct.      

Thanks Tekliu I got the tunnel working today.

Couple of questions though, at both ends for the remote setting when I picked IP + Domain Name the ip address didn't populate like it did for the local setting so I had to type in the IP address for each remote location.  My concern is since I do not have a Static IP when it changes will this entry change as well.

and second

Now that I have the tunnel set up how do I ping a device at the other end.  I can ping the router but not anything on the end.  I have disabled the Firewall in each router and the device Im trying to ping has no firewall or antivirus

Rick

Ok I got it working good

Thanks for your help