cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN using Cisco VPN Client

jano_labs
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to use a VPN created with a WRVS4400N router with the Cisco Systems VPN Client (ver 5) software? (Although QuickVPN works fine.)

Is it possible to use with VPN Client Account mode? Or is it possible to use with IPSec VPN (Tunnel) mode? If yes, please provide set up how to for both client and router side. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alejandro Gallego
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately the Small Business Routers are not compatible with Cisco VPN Clients. The Cisco VPN Clients have more settings that are not available in the Small Business series devices, so all we can use is the QVPN application.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Alejandro Gallego
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately the Small Business Routers are not compatible with Cisco VPN Clients. The Cisco VPN Clients have more settings that are not available in the Small Business series devices, so all we can use is the QVPN application.

Thank you for your quick answer.

In this case I have another question. I would like to use Wake-On-Lan to send a Magic Packet to my PC to power it up - from a distant location. WOL is working locally, and I can see running devices from a remote location with the QuickVPN client. But I can not broadcast my magic packet from the remote location. Is this because the known NetBIOS problem? How could I make the broadcast work?

thomas.loepfe
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Could you send some informationa about your configuration of the wrvs4400nv2? i'm trying to set up the vpn (with quick VPN and Windows 7) but it won't work for me.

Thanx in advance for your help.

regards

Greetings,

As I have seen so far QuickVPN is not totally compatible with Windows 7 from what I have experienced yet a quick suggestion would be to try to run the latest QuickVPN software in compatability mode for another earlier OS version like Vista/Xp and give that a try.

Another suggestiong would be to use the built in windows new vpn connection wizard to create a pptp tunnel instead of using our software until a newer version compatible with Windows 7 comes out.  Make sure that you have all the VPN protocols enabled in the  passthrough on the router for this work  correctly.

For further support feel free to contact our support center 1-866-606-1866.

Hello

Got it. I'm using the compatibility modus from Win 7 and i copied the renewed certificates to the clients folder.

What do I have to do, setting up a PPTP-Tunnel? Does this work with the WRVS4400n V2?

Now everything is working... But the performance is pretty weak. I think this is because of the connection to the ISP.

Thanks and regards

Hi Thomas, I've bought a WRVS4400N router but i'm not able to make it work with win xp and quickvpn.

I've installed last release of quick vpn (ver 1.4.0.5) and latest release of router firmware ( 2.0.0.8-K9).

After a vpn account has been created, i export a client certificate, copy it in the quickvpn folder, but when i connect i get...

Connecting...

Activating Policy....

Verifying Network...

then an error tells "The gateway is not responding. Do you want to wait?" (YES/NO)

This happens even if i create a vpn tunnel on the router or not.

Can you help me?

thank

Stefano

Hello Stefano

Try to copy both (client and server - certificate) in the qvpn-folder. I did it like this and it worked.

And take a look at your subnets. What's your remote(the wrvs4400n subnet) and what's your local subnet (where you work or are). If these are the same, it won't work.

And have a look at your security policies and firewall rule-sets. If a ping isn't possible to your wrvs4400n (you have to activate this in the routers management interface) you won't be able to connect, because the qvpn client needs to ping your wrvs4400n.

These are only some ideas, why it won't work...

Just send me a mail, if you got some more questions.

Beste regards

tom

I agree with Thomas, make sure that both your subnet's are different on each side. I have been had alot of customer lately not being able to connect via Qvpn and after doing a shields up test at GRC.COM usually the ports are closed by the ISP. This is usually the first thing i check when setting up Qvpn. You will need to plug your pc directly into the modem and make sure your pc has a public ip address. Go to GRC.COM and run a shields up test with ports 443,500,4500,60443( I also like to do a all service ports to see what ports are being closed if any). These are the ports that qvpn needs to work properly. If the ports are opened then you want to look at make sure the subnet's are not the same. After that if you still can't get it to work you might want to make sure your IPsec service is running on your pc(verify that the service is automatic.) Qvpn client works off the IPsec service in windows. Make sure if you are running XP that the firewall is disable when trying to connect. You can make exceptions to allow the Qvpn to go though the firewall but it's best first to just disable it and any 3rd party firewalls. After this if you still can't get it connect, (after verifying ports are open, subnet's are not the same, firewall is disable, no other 3rd party firewall is on blocking the service.) Please give us a call at 1-866-606-1866 so we might can look at your settings and test them from our lab.

Hope this helps,

Jason

You will need to plug your pc directly into the modem and make sure your pc has a public ip address. Go to GRC.COM and run a shields up test with ports 443,500,4500,60443( I also like to do a all service ports to see what ports are being closed if any). These are the ports that qvpn needs to work properly. If the ports are opened then you want to look at make sure the subnet's are not the same.

I already commented on that before here.

Your test us highy flawed. If you connect the PC directly to the modem a port scan will only scan whether a port is open or closed on the PC. What do you run on the computer which opens ports 443 and 60443? Otherwise those ports will always appear closed because they are closed on your computer. As most people don't run a web server on their PC port 443 and 60443 is not used and will appear only closed, never open. In addition, you cannot scan UDP ports 500 and 4500.

Thus, if the scan reports ports 443 and 60443 open and you don't know about a web server on your PC it would be an alarming sign regarding the security of your computer. But that's about what this test will tell you... This test is not suitable to find out whether the ISP blocks ports 443 and 60443 or not.

Do you do this test yourself? Do you really get open ports 443 and 60443 with your PC and a public IP address???

jamccord
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  The WRVS4400N does not have a PPTP server built in.  The models that support PPTP are the RV0XX routers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: