cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N Firewall rule problem

dilligaf32
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to set up a rule for the firewall to block certain websites for certain hours of the day.  (Trying to remove distractions from my kids getting their homework done.)

I set up a rule enable it, set it to "Allow" internet access while the rule is acive and then start adding websites that I want blocked, i.e. facebook.com, damnlol.com, youtube.com etc.

As soon as I save the rule, it kills internet access for all computers on the network.  I was able to set up a rule that just blocks the kids' computers from internet access entirely still letting me work, but they use online resourses for school, so that is not an ideal solution by any strech of the imagination. 

I have updated to 2.0.2.1 Firmware, and as far s I can tell I've set the rule up correctly...  Any help would be appreciated.

2 Replies 2

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

Please be reminded that once you add an Allow rule, whatever is not specified is considered denied.

An alternative approach is to use Deny rule, so you can specified a group of IP addresses that should not get internet access during certain time window.

The "Allow" rule is "Internet Access During selected days and hours", the restriction is based on domain names as shown in the attachment. 

So as I read the rule form in the router, it's allowing internet access to everything, and denying access to the websites that are listed in the deny box.  HOWEVER it is not working that way.  When I enable the rule it breaks internet access to everything for all computers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: