Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How to create & assign VLAN to specific ports

In our ISA550W, creating VLAN for different subnets and assigning them to specific ports is a piece of cake and self explanitory.

However on an SG300-10MP, I'm totally lost lol. I simply want to make ports 7 & 8 set to a .10 subnet instead of a .6 like the rest of the switch. I need these ports to be totally independent from the rest and not communicate with the others at all.

How do I do this?

Thanks!

• Small Business Security
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to create & assign VLAN to specific ports

Hi Alex,

Under VLAN Management go to interface settings.  Change the interfaces you are using to access ports by choosing the desired port and clicking edit. 

Once they are access ports go back to the Port to VLAN page and assign the desired port as a untagged in that interface. 

This should be all you need, let me know if you have any further questions.

-Trent Good

** Please rate useful posts! **

-Trent Good ** Please rate useful posts! **
12 REPLIES

Hello Alex,

I found some articles relating to the SG300 series devices. They help explain how to assign ports to different VLANs. I hope that they can be helpful to you in your configuration.

Configuration of Port to VLAN on 200/300 Series Manged Switches

Configuration of VLAN Membership of an Interface on the 200/300 Series Managed Switches

Hope they help,

Andrew Mayfield

Andrew,

Thank you, I will read and follow them.

I guess what was throwing me off is that during the creation of the VLANs, you don't identify the subnet in anyway. On the ISA, you specifically would tell it 192.168.10.0 for example. On the SG, it doesn't, just create a VLAN identifier and link it to a port and it doesn't care the subnet.

Thanks!

Alex

I'm still not sure what to do on the last portion, the second link.

I add the 10 VLAN I created to the port, and I mark it as tagged. Ok.

But I want to remove the default 1 VLAN from the port because I do NOT want the traffic able to cross from this VLAN and port to any other the other VLANs and ports, and no matter what variations I choose, it won't let me.

Hi Alex,

Under VLAN Management go to interface settings.  Change the interfaces you are using to access ports by choosing the desired port and clicking edit. 

Once they are access ports go back to the Port to VLAN page and assign the desired port as a untagged in that interface. 

This should be all you need, let me know if you have any further questions.

-Trent Good

Gotcha, yeah that removed the default VLAN from the Port VLAN Membership page.

1 Final question, I made them untagged as you mentioned, but on the Port VLAN Membership page, should I leave them as tagged?

Hi Alex,

The Port VLAN Membership page, vlan to port page, and interface settings page should all reflect the same thing.  It should show something like [vlan id]UP or something like that.

-Trent Good

Port VLAN Membership shows TP

Port to VLAN show Tagged

Interface settings shows:

7 GE7General10Admit Tagged OnlyEnabled

Is that correct, or should everything be switched to Untagged?

Thank you VERY much for the help!

You want to switch everything to untagged.  Most devices by default will not understand tagging.

-Trent Good

Ok, now my settings look like this:

Port VLAN Membership shows UP

Port to VLAN shows Untagged

Interface settings shows:

7 GE7General10Admit Untagged OnlyEnabled

Funny thing tho, when I go into the Port VLAN Membership and edit, it shows as set to Tagged even though the summary shows UP. If I set it to untagged and saved it, it just goes right back to Tagged. Is this normal and OK?

Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies