Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ISA570 High latency

Hi guys.

Just want to ask to see if any other users have ran into this issue. Seems after upgrading my ISA570 to 1.2.17. Users are experiencing very slow internet access. If I reboot the IsA570 everything goes back to normal. I did not noticed any issues until the ISA570 was upgraded. This happens randomly and causes the internet to crawl. When I ping to an outside IP address, my time is time=489 and above. I am thinking of revert back to 1.2.15 and see if issue persists. The only security service that is enabled is IPS but even if I disabled this feature I still have the same results. The only solution right now is to reboot the ISA570. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cisco SMB engineers; have you guys ran into this problem?

Syslog attached

System logs will send if needed

Thanks,

Jason

7 REPLIES

ISA570 High latency

Jason,

I have not heard of any issues on 1.2.17 like this.  I heard of some on 1.2.15 so I'm finding this odd.  I would recommend reverting back to 1.2.15 to see if the problem persists.  Whether it does or does not, I would upgrade to 1.2.17 again and see if it comes back.

1. If the issue persists on both versions, I'd open a case with SBSC as you may need a unit exchange.
    • If feasible, I'd also recommend ensuring it's not an issue with your ISP that just happen to coincide with your upgrade.
  2. If the issue goes away on 1.2.15 and comes back on 1.2.17, I'd open a bug report with SBSC and revert back to 1.2.15 while they fix it.
  3. If the issue goes away after upgrading again to 1.2.17, then it was probably a bad upgrade and you should be good to go.

Shawn Eftink
CCNA/CCDA

Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

ISA570 High latency

Hi Jason,

I too have the high latency problem with ISA 570. I've been struggling with this problem over a month. We have taken this with Cisco Support and they are currently working to replicate the issue in their labs. Hopefully they are able to find a solution soon. However I wanted to share our findings, so it might help others.

We've had this issue in 1.2.15 and also in 1.2.17. We've recently upgraded to 1.2.17 and the problem still exists. We did the following (SBSC advise) after taking necessary backups on both 1.2.15 and 1.2.17 without any luck on solution

1. Reset the device.

2. Restoring the device with backed up configuration.

> We did thorough check with ISP, the high latency issue happens only when my internet links are connected with Cisco ISA 570. If I connect my internet links to a different Gateway device or a laptop, ISP just works consistently. This is definitely something to do with ISA 570.

> We switched off all security services and the issue exists.

> We switched off WAN Traffic metering and the issue exists.

> We switched off all security services and the issue exists.

> We switched of Policy Based Routing and the issue exists

> QOS is disabled by default/not configured

> Content filtering and MAC Address filtering are disabled by default/not configured

> I have both WAN1 and WAN 2 configured. Dual WAN Settings are 'Weighted by Link Bandwidth'. So initially, my entire network traffic was using both the WAN links depending on the load. To isolate the issue, I tried this. I created a static routing for WAN2; only one of my servers with very minimum traffic will be routed to WAN2's internet. Everything else takes WAN1's internet. After I did this, I no longer see a high latency issue in WAN2's internet. However, WAN1 continued to have the issue. Then we monitored the ISA 570 over the weekend when no users around, there is no latency issue in WAN1 when no users around. So I suspect ISA 570 is unable to handle the network load on it or something must be wrong the way the device is configured.

Hopefully, Cisco will advise a fix soon. Otherwise this is an extremely nice device bundled with all UTM features.

Also, after upgrading to 1.2.17 we are unable to add any port forward rules and save it. So we reverted back to 1.2.15

I'll keep you posted on progress we make, meanwhile if you find any solution please do post it here.

ISA570 High latency

Nice job, Cisco.

I convinced more than a handful of clients (7) to ditch their Tomato/DD-WRT routers and purchase ISA550/570's. Now I have to manually reboot these devices to keep their Internet connections viable?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogfooding

Cisco Employee

Re: ISA570 High latency

Hi Jason and Brian,

I have a few questions for you regarding this:

1.  How long after rebooting the ISA do you see this happen again?

2.  Are you able to log into the Configuration Utility?

3.  Do you have wireless enabled with Rogue AP Detection enabled?

Thanks,

Brandon

Brandon,

1. Latency becomes noticeable after about three days without a restart in 4/7 of the devices. In 2/7 of the devices it is apparent after a single day. The remaining 1/7 does not exhibit perceptible latency though all of the devices have a full error log after only a few hours of operation (5000).

2. The GUI remains accessible in all cases.

3. No Rogue AP Detection on any of the devices.

Cisco Employee

HI Brian,

Are you still seeing this issue?  Can you open a case with SBSC for this so we can take a look into what's going on?

Thanks,

Brandon

Hi Brian,

We too are facing the high latency issue with ISA 570 as said my post earlier. We have opened a case with SBSC on 22nd July. The case was opened with L1 and got escalated to L2. We have crossed three weeks yet there isn't any solution. I additon to our internet latency issue for users, our complete VOIP infrastructure has gone for a toss due to dropped calls/calls going blank issues. These are caused by ISA latency issues apparently resulting in direct impact to our business opportunities. Not sure how to get the issue prioritized and expedite the resolution. Any timely assistance from Cisco will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Krishna

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content