Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Port Span on SA 540 - Does it work?

My client has an SA 540 running 2.1.71 firmware.  A trial version of Websense Filtering is installed on a server connected to the SA 540's port 8.  The server network card is configured in promiscuous mode.  All LAN traffic from stacked network switches comes in on the SA 540's port 1.  Websense needs to see that traffic, so all ports on the SA 540 are mirrored or spanned to port 8.  Websense sees nothing but its own traffic.

Does port span work on the SA 540?  It does not appear to work.  Can anyone tell me how to confirm whether it is working or not?

Tony

Everyone's tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Did you ever get this figured out?  I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

2 REPLIES

Did you ever get this figured out?  I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

Curtis,

Yes, the port span issue has been resolved. Thank you for asking. It does work just fine. What doesn't work very well is Websense sales and technical support. Websense sales told me their latest filtering product works on a Hyper-V VM with all components installed on the VM. A Websense knowledge base article said essentially the same thing.

Through research I found that you cannot put a Hyper-V VM NIC in promiscuous mode (you can using VMware). A NIC in promiscuous mode is necessary to see traffic on the spanned port. That was the first bit of misinformation. Then for test purposes I thought I would move the blocking and filtering software to the physical Hyper-V host. I called Websense technical support for assistance, and they said it wouldn't work either. The Websense tech even did the installation, and sure enough, it didn't work. I told him it should, and I could not see why it didn't. The call was ended, and I went back to the server to reconfigure the filtering and blocking software on the Hyper-V host. Guess what.  It does work.

Moral of the story – don’t believe everything you hear. The Websense evaluation is going well, and now we can see all of the time wasting Internet activity that goes on.

Views
Helpful
Replies