Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SA 520 W Painfully slow

I recenly installed an SA 520 W for client using Verizon DSL (3 meg down). This box replaced an old Firebox firewall. Prior to the switch, download speeds were close to the advertised 3 meg. Now, with the SA 520 in place, we are receiving roughly 300kbps down with a massive ammount of latency. There have been no other changes introduced. This slowness is present even with all workstations powered off (there are 7). The firmware is up to date. Cisco support reccomends defaulting the box which I am reluctant to do as I beleive it to be a fools errand.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Bob

Message was edited by: bfriend@casserlyconsulting.com

Everyone's tags (3)
13 REPLIES

Re: SA 520 W Painfully slow

Hi Bfriend,

Doesn't make sense, the box is infinitely more powerful compared to something like the WRVS4400N.

YES , do what Small Business Support Center suggest , factory reset and try the throughput test from your PC to something likespeedtest

Report on how it's running from a copper Ethernet connection from the SA520W to the Speed test location near you.

regards Dave

Just curious if anyone has found a solution to this? We just installed one on Friday and the client is complaining of this very situation where as either pages are timing out or browing is very slow.

What firmware are you running?  Are you running PPPoE through the SA520?

I'm not sure of the firmware ver but we are running PPPoe.

Latest firmware. I'm out of the office right now, but I believe it's 1.2.1. No PPOE.

To both of you, are you running your own DNS servers or is the SA 520 running the DNS proxy?

That would be DNS Proxy for our install.

Turn on logging...

Administration -> Logging -> Logging Facility and Severity

Turn on Debugging level for System, Kernel, Network, and Firewall.

Can you get a sniffer from Administration -> Diagnostics -> Packet Trace, do this on the WAN interface.

Use that and recreate the issue with the web pages. 

Get the sniffer and the logs and post them here please.

Event log not showing anything, however please see the attached packet capture.

Could you go to Firewall -> Attacks and uncheck the box for block fragmented packets?

As it turns out, it was the offsite backup that was killing the connection.

Good to hear.

Did this disable fragmented backs help?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content