cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

SA540 and Netbios

Hi,

I configured VPN on my SA 540 according to your document "SA500_vpnclient_appnote.pdf" so I can use the Cisco VPN client.

On my SA 540 I am running firmware 2.1.71

Behind the SA 540 I have 6 Windows 7 PC's running, so there is no DNS server. There is a WINS server running.

I can only connect to the shares on IP address and not by there host names.

I have noticed that when I log on to my SA 540 and I go to "VPN" and then to my VPN Policies and I edit the active policy, there is a tick box "Enable Netbios". Strangely enough I can not tick the box.

I want to enable this so my VPN clients will be able to connect to machines by there host name.

Please advise how to resolve this issue,

Kind regards,

Dave Diependaal

AB-Radio, The Netherlands

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

SA540 and Netbios

Dave,

When configuring the SA500 device for Cisco vpn client, this option is grey out because the client don’t support NetBIOS broadcast. Now the SA500 does give you the ability to configure DNS or Wins options so when SA500 gives out the IP address for the Cisco vpn client will have Wins server given.

Look under Vpn tab

Click on Dynamic IP range and put in optional settings for Cisco Vpn client. When the client gets an address it will include your Wins server you specify and you should be able to resolve computer names.

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

SA540 and Netbios

Without looking into the reason why the "Netbios" setting is being greyed out,

As a quick work around you could add the netbios names - ip address setting to your lmhosts file on your PC (i.e. configure a hosts file)

Here is an example for Windows OS

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/101927

This is reasobable if you have only 6 servers, and the ip addresses of the servers do not change.

I suggest to open a case with STAC to find out if Netbios and Cisco VPN client is being supported or not.

hth  Jo

Community Member

SA540 and Netbios

Thanx for the reply Joachim.

Since we are a small non profit organisation we dont have a support contract with Cisco.

This means that I can not raise a TAC case :<

I would still like to know why I can not tick the "Enable Netbios" box.

Cisco Employee

SA540 and Netbios

I assume netbios is not being supported when using Cisco VPN client.

To get an answer please open a case here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13250

Netherlands Phone Support: 0800 023 3416

You do not need a support contract when contacting STAC. The serial number of the SA540 is sufficient. You can open the case under warranty.

Silver

SA540 and Netbios

Dave,

When configuring the SA500 device for Cisco vpn client, this option is grey out because the client don’t support NetBIOS broadcast. Now the SA500 does give you the ability to configure DNS or Wins options so when SA500 gives out the IP address for the Cisco vpn client will have Wins server given.

Look under Vpn tab

Click on Dynamic IP range and put in optional settings for Cisco Vpn client. When the client gets an address it will include your Wins server you specify and you should be able to resolve computer names.

Hope this helps,

Jasbryan

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content