Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SA540 crashes - used up all memory

Hi.

My SA540 crashes after 1-2 weeks of usage. I think the problem is that's not releasing its memory. under Resource Utilization I can see that the memory is dropping constantly, and after a week or 2 it freezing then crashes and rebooting when there is no free memory left. Not using any VPN, only the trial IPS. But it still crashes when I disable the IPS protection. Still the memory seems to be the issue. I have around 20-35 clients on the box.

I have attached the dbglog. - dl'ed it after the crash, so the free memory is up again.

(using latest firmware).

Please respond asap. I am a little dissapointed at this price range

18 REPLIES

Re: SA540 crashes - used up all memory

Are you at the latest firmware version (1.1.65) on the device?  If not I would suggest that you first get that updated.  Also I would give our

Cisco Small Business Support Center a call to open up a case. (1-866-606-1866)

THANKS

Yes, as stated, I am using the latest firmware -1.1.65, this can also be seen in the logfile.

Well, then I have to give the support a call....

Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

we are investigating your issue, will update you soon.

Wei

Hi,

I got the same problem. Spontaneous reboots of the router (SA540). I also tried a SA520w with the same 1.1.65 firmware and this one has the same problem.

To be sure I tested our complete network on cabling with no result. I made a port mirror on the LAN interface I used to connect to my LAN and monitored all throughput with wireshark. Also I had a syslog server with logged debugging information.

All my tests where ok.

Sometimes the router is up for a few days and sometimes only a couple of minutes. Also sometimes I can’t login to the router. I can click to acknowledge the security warning of the SSH certificate and then I get a timeout after a few minutes. No login screen comes up.

I got all the problems with both routers SA540 and SA520w in single and dual WAN modus.

Silver

I would try backing up your configuration, reflash the firmware, factory reset the device and reload the configuration.  If your still seeing the same issue, possibly manually reconfigure the SA and see if that alleviates the issue.  Could be a bad config. 

Hi Prosper,

We would like to understand your problem better, so if you could send us your configuration file and a brief description of network topology. The configuration file will have your password related information, so please change before posting. You can send it directly via private message.

Also I would like to talk to you regarding this issue, so you can send your contact information to discuss.

Thanks,

Nitin Manglik.

Our network topology is 1 SDSL and 1 ADSL line. Both form the same provider. in the on the LAN we are in the 10.1.43.x range.

At first we did a load balance. Because of the reboots i tried a SA520w with the same firmware (1.65). This one has the same problems. So i tried both SA540 and the SA520w in my network on a different IP address. The SA540 has 10.1.43.254, for our servers and de SA520w has 10.1.43.1 for the clients. Now the one with the servers has no problems but the one for the clients does still random reboot. Before the reboot we can't connect to the configuration page. Time out.

I tried a port mirror of the lan port i use to connect to my network and run wireshark analyses over it with no result. Also i had a syslog server running with no apparent errors.

PS: at the moment we don’t use the SA520w for the clients. I returned our Cisco 876 back to a NAT router but that’s not ideal because we lost our IP subnet and NAT is no firewall

Cisco Employee

Hi Prosper,

We have looked at your configuration file, however we would like to retrieve the debug logs from your SA 540 and if you are still using it -the SA520W as well.

To collect logs from the SA540 device, log in to the SA540 and in the web browser window, enter the following URL  https://IP_address_of_SA540/scgi-bin/dbglog.cgi.

These   logs will also have configuration file, so if you would like  to  change  passwords, please do. If you don't feel comfortable sharing   this in the community, please feel free to send me the log file  directly  by private message. Furthermore, we would like to arrange a meeting with you;  could you please also send us your contact information?

Thanks in advance,

Julio

Sorry for the late reaction. We returned our SA520 to the reseller and we are also gonna sell the SA540. We can't wait till someone find a solution for this problem. the company needs to run. In a test setup we don't have this problems because the're is to little traffic. for the moment we we use the Cisco 876 as a NAT router.

Cisco Employee

Hi Prosper,

Sorry to hear this, dev team is actively investigating this issue.  We still would like to have a meeting with you so as to gather any information that could help troubleshoot this issue.  If you can send me the contact information in private mail we would really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Julio

I am experiencing the memory leak as well on my SA-520W (firmware 1.1.65):

(see attached image for full size)

The above graph is the result of measuring the SNMP OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4.11.0

The router was, of course, power cycled at Nov 11.

Cisco Employee

Hi Richard,

Could you please collect debug logs before the next crash so that our dev team can investigate?

To collect logs from the SA540 device, log in to the SA540 and in the web browser window, enter the following URL  https://IP_address_of_SA540/scgi-bin/dbglog.cgi.

These  logs will also have configuration file, so if you would like  to change  passwords, please do. If you don't feel comfortable sharing  this in the community, please feel free to send me the log file directly  by private message. Furthermore, we would like to contact you, could you please also send us your contact information.

Best regards,

Julio

The problem still exist...

I upgraded to firmware 2.1.18 when it came out, and the memory leak is still happening. This is SO hopeless!

When will you fix this serious issue?

I have attached a new dump of the log:

http://trianglen7.dk/Cisco-dbglog2.tar

Cisco Employee

Hi Christian,

We identified two causes for memory loss issues and were addressed on the 2.1.18 release.  However, since you still see this issue, we would like to know more about your particular setup.  Topology, user base, remote connections (tunnels and users),and specifically what type of traffic is passing thru the SA540.  Also, what is the frequency for the reboot? Do you see the memory usage increasing over time, or does it spike? Can you send me a private message with your contact information so that we can talk to you?

Best regards,

Julio

Seems like another factory reset along with reinstalling the firmware did help.

But the memory is at 72%, when nothing turned on - just the basic firewall and dhcp server. Is this normal memory usage?

Hi Christian,

The SA500 being an embedded device where there is no disk to hold the data, filesystem, code etc. The memory utilization of the device can seem high however configuring different subsystems should not take up significant memory and the total memory has been accounted for optimal operation.

To answer your question, we should be concerned about increasing memory but not increased memory which remains stable. If the memory is stable at 72% then it should be fine.

Thanks,

Nitin

SA540 crashes - used up all memory

Hello,

I have an SA-520W and I keep having this same issue.

so much to the point that when I am browsing, I can cause errors all across my home network. If I assign DNS to my server (cabled) and am going through the wireless, when my streaming on my dvd player stops, I won't be able to RDP my server. I also won't be able to browse any more! Ping works fine.

All I've been able to see is the CPU hit 100%. What?! I don't even have 6 devices here.

It is no surprise that this product had no official support and was dropped by cisco.

Cisco, if you would like to work on one of these crappy, unstable devices, let me know and I'll be happy to provide you any logs you need.

Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies