Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice Ports

We are using Cisco IP Telephony environment & special voice vlan is created in all access switches. Now, I want to define access list so that there will have only voice communication between all access switches. All Desktop will get valid IP Address but they will not have access. Which are the voice ports I need to define in my access list to have voice communication only ?

3 REPLIES

Voice Ports

I'd recommend posting this in the Small Business Voice and Video Conferencing forum.  One additional fact I would mention is whether you plan to plug PCs into the desk phones and the phones into the wall outlet or if you intend to have each have its own network connection.

Shawn Eftink
CCNA/CCDA

Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

Voice Ports

I'm not a voice expert but, assuming you're plugging the PCs into the phones, it should just be a matter of putting both the voice and data VLAN on each switch port of your access switches and then telling the phone which VLAN is the Voice VLAN.  If you don't have any inter-VLAN routing configured, the two VLANs should not be able to communicate with each other.

Shawn Eftink
CCNA/CCDA

Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

Voice Ports

Hi Kishor, this will depend on where your inter-vlan routing is done and what type of device it is.  Layer 3 switch or router? If you provide make and model someone should be able to help you with an example or direct you to the right forum topic.

Shawn is correct if you were using a small business switch in layer 2 mode, the voice and data VLANs would not be able to communicate unless specifically routed via L3 device.

-- please remember to rate helpful posts --

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content