Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new WVC210 (reboots)

I just bought this new from Newegg and after many hours of trial and   error, I found that if I try anything above 320x240, Low Quality, 4   frames/sec on MJPEG Settings, it will invariably reboot.  It seems to do   with how much image data is there, because if I choose 640x480, High   Quality, at even full 30 frames/sec in a dark room, it doesn't lock up   at all.  Or if I choose say 640x480, 1 frames/sec, High Quality in a   room with little detail (just bare walls), it seems to work ok.  But if I   point the thing outside where there's a lot of detail, as in trees,   etc. and I set it to 640x480, High Quality, 4 frames/sec (which I could   live with), it will definitely lock up pretty soon, especially when   panning, since that adds a lot more data to the stream.  Setting it to   320x240 at Low Quality is unacceptable.  I could buy other cameras for   half this price if I wanted low res.

I know this is an end-of-life product, which is one of   the reasons I bought it, because I got it pretty cheap.  But this   reboot thing is killing me.  Should I return it to Newegg for a   replacement or is this a known issue?  Should I call you guys to   troubleshoot or something?  I either want this fixed or I'll just have   to return it.

Otherwise, I like the camera just fine.  If I could just get a stable 640x480 MJPEG stream.

14 REPLIES

Update here..  actually, even at 320x240, Low Quality, 4 frames/sec, this thing is rebooting when pointing it out a window to the outside, it just takes longer to do so.  And it's just some trees blowing around a bit.  I didn't even have to pan.  But if I set this to 640x480 or leave it at 320x240 and go higher qualities, I can get it to reboot much faster, sometimes almost immediately after viewing through the camera.  Wired vs. wireless doesn't seem to matter.

Gold

Hi CrazyDood69,

What you are seeing is not normal or anywhere close. With the camera powered on, hold the reset button for 12 seconds to set it to factory defaults. Set it up with the most basic settings possible (i.e. wired connection, static IP address, everything else defaults) and test. If you see the same problem, return it to the reseller for replacement. I have had 2 of these cameras running 24/7 at 640x480 30 FPS for over 2 years, no issues at all. I have only seen one customer report the rebooting problem and the resolution was replacement.

If you wish to troubleshoot further, please call the Cisco Small Business Support Center. www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

Thanks for the quick reply!  I just did the reset to factory defaults like you mentioned and made it wired with fixed IP.  It worked like that for a little longer, but after a minute or so of looking through it and panning, etc., it did reboot.

I'll get a replacement and hopefully that works.  I'll post back and let you know.

Have you tried upgrading to the latest firmware? How many other devices are on your network?

Alan.

I didn't mention it, but yes I did "upgrade" the firmware just for the heck of it, but it already had the latest version.  It didn't help.  I have about 10 devices or so on my network right now, but that shouldn't cause a device to reboot.  If it does, then it's an issue with the unit.  My other devices/PCs don't spontaneously reboot, you know what I mean right?

Yes you are correct. I would contact Cisco' Tech Support and get an RMA number or return it to NewEgg if it is still within the return period.

Question for you, if you assign it a static IP and connect to it directly from your PC, are you still getting the same behavior with high res and high fps?

Alan.

Yeah, using a static IP has no effect, and wired vs. wireless has no effect.  It's like the CPU, buffer or something isn't able to keep up with the data flow and just reboots.  The more data it needs to send, the faster it reboots.

Then you will need to either return it to NewEgg or NewEgg for a replacement depending when you bought it.

Alan.

Yeah, I know.  Got the RMA# and going back this week for replacement. 

Ok, follow up post here.  I just received a replacement camera from Newegg today and so far it hasn't rebooted, but then I've only tested it for the past hour.  I'll know better in a week, but it seems to be a lot better.  Thanks to Cisco for some great tech support!

Thanks for the feedback, my friend! Will wait patiently for your long term test.

Alan..

Been over a week now and no problems.  I don't know why Cisco is stopping production of this camera though.  It's pretty nice for the price.  I think they should make an even better one rather than get out of the IP camera business.  My 2 cents!

I totally agree with you! Unfortunately it was an executive decision..........

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

A lot of customers have had the same comments. Thank you for lettings us know.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content