Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cannot access WVC210 camera viewing (website 192.168.x.x) via 3G network device (Iphone 3GS)

Dear Cisco Partners,

I seem to have no problem accessing throe website, where I can see the video live. However, the moment, I switch to 3G, I cannot get this access. Is there any specific set up point for the camera, which could solve this problem?

I tried access via the internet application on the iphone (Safari), and two separate Apps. However, the result is the same. When I'm on wireless, it works. When I switch to 3G, it does not.

Do I need to change anyting on teh camera setup?

Do you recommend a specific Iphone App, for monitoting?

Thanks!!

Yalin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Cannot access WVC210 camera viewing (website 192.168.x.x) via 3G

Yalin,

Happy new year!

It sounds like you missed a part of Step 2 that I posted. "Click here to skip this advertisement..." You do not need a static IP address on your PC and you certainly do not need any software to configure port forwarding. Please try the following:

1. Ignore any software that you installed. Let your PC get a DHCP address from the router, it does not need to be static.
  2. Login to the router and go to "Virtual Servers". Set it up so that port 80 is forwarded to 192.168.2.210. The protocol should be TCP. Save the settings and test the WAN IP again.

It sounds like whatever software you installed thinks that you want to forward port 80 to your PC. That is why I say to ignore that software. Also, make sure that in the basic settings of the camera you have the Default Gateway and Primary DNS server set to 192.168.2.1. (Both settings need to point to the router so you can access it using 3G)

Please keep us updated.

12 REPLIES
Gold

Yalin,

In order to view the video remotely, you need to forward port 80 (http) in your router to the IP address of the camera. Then you need to access it by typing the WAN IP address of your router, not the LAN IP address of the camera. To find your WAN IP quickly, go to ipchicken.com.

Please reply and let us know if this helps and if you have any questions.

Mpyhala,

Thanks for this clarification. I'm not familiar with port-forwarding. Is there a guideline you can refer me to, which will explain the process step by step? I'm using a relatively new model of Belkin routers.

And second question is: Will this port forwarding have an impatct on any other work that I do with the router and my laptops. I use the router for all of my other personal work, too... So, this is not a dedicated router, just for the WVC210 camera.

Thanks.

Yalin

Gold

Re: Cannot access WVC210 camera viewing (website 192.168.x.x) vi

Yalin,

The best advice I can give you regarding Port Forwarding is as follows:

1. Go to http://portforward.com and scroll down until you see "Your external IP is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". Write down that IP address, that is your WAN IP from which you will access the camera using 3G. Continue scrolling until you find Belkin routers and look for your model number or a similar model if you can't find your exact router.
  2. Click on the router model and a new page will open. Click on "Click here to skip this advertisement..." in the upper right.
  3. On the next page, press Ctrl F to search and type WVC210. Click on the link labeled "Cisco WVC210" and the next page will give you very good instructions on how to forward port 80 to your camera.

What port forwarding does is open a tiny hole in your firewall to allow remote access to a device. There are 65,535 available ports in your firewall and you will only be opening one of them (Port 80 TCP). When you open the port anyone that knows your WAN IP address will be able to reach the login screen of your camera. Make sure that you give the camera a secure Username and Password and change them often.

You likely will not notice any impact at all on your other devices unless you create multiple users on the WVC210 and invite several people to access your video feed simultaneously. This will of course have some impact on your internet bandwidth.

Gold

Re: Cannot access WVC210 camera viewing (website 192.168.x.x) vi

Yalin,

Did you ever get the Port Forwarding to work so you could access the WVC210 from your phone? Please give us an update.

Mpyhala,

Hi there... I followed the instructions exactly. I downloaded the software (reccommended on that web page) for getting a static ip first... it worked just fine...  then followed the steps to complete the port forwarding on the same webpage. however, this does not seem to effect my access... I first got a static ip (192.168.2.150)... I got my WAN IP, too... I double checked the new ip address from control panel/network status/etc. etc.../ and I can see this new static address (150) set up there... In order to log in to the camera home page, I normally use the fixed ip address of the camera  (which is 192.168.2.210).. and then enter my username and pw.. When I'm on wifi, no problem... When I switch to 3G, no access... What am I missing here?

Thanks

Yalin

Gold

Yalin,

I'm not sure what the 192.168.2.150 address is for. If the camera uses 192.168.2.210, that should be the IP address that http port 80 is forwarded to in your Belkin router. Once port 80 is forwarded to 192.168.2.210, you can access the camera using the 3G connection using the WAN IP address of the router.

When you switch from Wi-Fi to 3G you must also switch between the LAN IP (192.168.2.210) and the WAN IP (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) You can find your current WAN IP at ipchicken.com or portforward.com

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions.

Mpyhala,

Hi. Thanks. I sorted the 2.150 address, into 2.210 as you note... I didnt know that, the static address should be the same as the cameras address.. so that's done. But, I'm not clear what you mean exactly in teh second parag above... "... switch between the LAN IP (192.168.2.210) and the WAN IP (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) ........." What exactly do you mean here? What steps I need to follow.. I have my WAN IP address from teh website you reccomended (81.97.xxx.x)... When I type that on my mobile phone browser, it still says, "cannot open page".. I try the 192.168.2.210, and teh same result... when i'm on wifi (with my mobile), and try 192.168.2.210, it works... bear in mind that, the wifi I refer to is the one at home... So, i havent tried with wifi elsewhere either....

Anyway, look forward to your further input, particularly on second parag above.

Regards,

Yalin

Gold

Yalin,

81.97.xxx.x is your WAN IP address. It can be changed by your ISP so make sure it is the correct address before you attempt to connect using 3G. With 3G the 192.168.2.210 address will not work. That IP is not routable on the internet.

If you are typing the correct WAN IP and it still fails, that means either the port forwarding is not configured correctly in your router OR your ISP is blocking port 80. Check the port forwarding in the router and make sure that the External and Internal port are set to 80, the Protocol is TCP and the IP address is 192.168.2.210.

If you are sure that the port forwarding is configured correctly but it still does not work, you can change the http listening port on the camera to something other than 80. This way if the ISP is blocking port 80 you can work around this. Go to Setup and look for the http port in the camera. It should show as 80. Change it to 1024 and save the setting. A warning message will pop up. Click ok and then click Save Settings again. ***NOTE: You will lose access to the camera at this point.***

To regain access to the camera, you will now need to type http://192.168.2.210:1024 (The browser assumes port 80 for http, if the http port is changed it needs to be added to the end of the IP address with a colon before it) If you are able to access the camera using the IP with port 1024, then you need to forward port 1024 in the router instead of 80. Leave the other settings the same, just change the port number from 80 to 1024 in the router. Now you should be able to change to 3G and access the camera as follows:

http://81.97.xxx.x:1024 (Enter your correct WAN IP address and add :1024 to the end)

Please keep us updated.

Myphala,

Happy new year...

Thanks for your detailed reply, but still I'm not there.

I have a problem, related to creating a static IP address..

From the website, you suggested, I tried creating a static IP address, as it basically says ("...To setup port forwarding on this router your computer needs to have a static ip address...").. I think I have an issue here...

I basically used their software, to create the static ip address. This software recommends, the following:

"

Your current IP address is: 192.168.2.7 [yalin's note: i do not know where this ...7 came from]

Recommended IP address: 192.168.2.150

"

So, this is how this ...150 address came about (which you were asking above)... Instead of this 150 address, per your recommendation above, I used the 210 address, belonging to the camera (192.168.2.210)... But this creates another problem... The software says "I should not use this 210 address for creating the static IP, because this address is used by another device in the network" (which is correct, as this is the camera). When I ignored this warning and created this static ip anyway, I got an error message on my laptop ("another computer has the same ip address as this computer, contact your network admin...")... In order to resolve this issue, I cleared this set up thru control panel (ipv4 properties, by selecting "obtain ip automatically" and "obtain dns server automatically"...

Note that I also received another error message, related to DHCP server, after the first attempt... So, you might want to consider this information...

So, at this point, Mpyhala, I cannot get to the final stage of portforwarding....

Could you please clarify how I should handle this above conflict? Which address should I choose for creating the static IP address? I listed the existing relevant ip addresses below... And which new address should I choose as the new static ip address?

Once we clarify this, then the website (portforward) recommends that, I input this new static ip address into the "virtual servers" section of the router setup website.. that seems relatively easy to do.. so, lets focus on this static ip issue...

Here are the ip addresses that I have:

WAN IP address:   81.97.xx.xx    (I'm not putting fully here for security)

Camera IP         : 192.168.2.210 (this is set up as a "FIXED" one, during the setup of the camera, otherwise I could not complete the wireless connection)

NAS IP               : 192.168.2.3 (this used to be ...4, but after my first attempt at the static address creation, something happened, and the address the NAS changed to ... 3... I could not record to the NAS temporarily, but I then discovered that the NAS address is ....x.x.x.3 and I now access it ok, at this time)..

Belkin router address is 192.168.2.1

This is a long message, but, I tried to share exactly what I faced..

Bottomline, still cannot access via 3g....

Look forward to your guidance.

Regards,

Yalin

Gold

Yalin,

Happy new year!

It sounds like you missed a part of Step 2 that I posted. "Click here to skip this advertisement..." You do not need a static IP address on your PC and you certainly do not need any software to configure port forwarding. Please try the following:

1. Ignore any software that you installed. Let your PC get a DHCP address from the router, it does not need to be static.
  2. Login to the router and go to "Virtual Servers". Set it up so that port 80 is forwarded to 192.168.2.210. The protocol should be TCP. Save the settings and test the WAN IP again.

It sounds like whatever software you installed thinks that you want to forward port 80 to your PC. That is why I say to ignore that software. Also, make sure that in the basic settings of the camera you have the Default Gateway and Primary DNS server set to 192.168.2.1. (Both settings need to point to the router so you can access it using 3G)

Please keep us updated.

Mpyhala,

Many thanks for your feedback. I have made the changes above, and yes, finally, I did manage to get viewing from my mobile on 3G!!... Thanks a lot.

Honestly, I was a dissapointed on the fact that, the two most important functions (remote viewing via mobile/ via internet, as well as recording) was not necessarily plug and play for this Cisco product.... Had it not been for your support, there was no way for me to figure this out on my own. And I'm not too bad on computers/technology. Anyway. Having come this far, I am now planning to buy another camera, for other sections of the house, and might need your help along the way.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Yalin

Gold

Yalin,

Thank you for the update and kind words. I am happy that I was able to assist. I agree that the documentation is somewhat scarce regarding remote access and recording. I think the reason is that most of the configuration is on the router or storage device, and there are so many different models available. It would be difficult to create a "generic" guide for these functions since there are so many different devices that can be used and different manufacturers use different methods for configuration. You really do not need to do much on the camera to get access remotely or record to a storage device.

You did a great job of describing the issues that you were having and you made it easy to know how to assist. Thanks for that. Please note that if you add another camera and wish to view it remotely you will need to change the http port that the camera listens on. I detailed this somewhat in my post dated Dec. 29. You can use port 1024 for one camera and 1025 for the other. Give each camera a unique static IP address (i.e. 192.168.2.210 and 192.168.2.211) Forward port 1024 to the first and 1025 to the second in the router. Note my post above about how to access the camera both locally and remotely after changing the http listening port.

I will of course be happy to assist if you need anything else. Please start a new thread if you have any new issue.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content