Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

DAT files are created for every 5 minutes with Video Monitoring System?

Hi Guys,

I am facing a problem while recording with my PVC 300 cameras with help of Cisco Video Monitoring System(2.0.2.1).The recorded output i.e .dat files are created for every 5 minutes so I have multiple dat files in my storage folder instead of one.I tried many configurations but still the same issue exists.I am recording in "Always Record" mode with "MPEG4" encoding.

Please share your suggestions on this.

Thanks,

Sanjay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DAT files are created for every 5 minutes with Video Monitoring

Hi Sanjay,

How can you open one large dat file to review the recording, if that file is still  being used by the recording module. So we break up the recordings into maneagable segements.

I would expect you are meant to use the free surveillance application to also review the captured video from only the PC that made that recording. 

Persoanlly, I like recording on motion, seems to save me lots of NAS space in the long run.

regards Dave

6 REPLIES

Hi Sanjay,

How can you open one large dat file to review the recording, if that file is still  being used by the recording module. So we break up the recordings into maneagable segements.

I would expect you are meant to use the free surveillance application to also review the captured video from only the PC that made that recording. 

Persoanlly, I like recording on motion, seems to save me lots of NAS space in the long run.

regards Dave

Thanks Dave.I will try to use "record on motion" to save the disk space.

Regards,

Sanjay.

Hi Dave,

Can I change the time span of maximum duration for each dat file(i.e can I make some configuration so that instead of getting one file per 5 minutes I get 1 file per 30 minutes or so )?.Also dat files are encrypted so I can not play them from other video players and exporting those files in AVI format really takes a long time for large recording duration.Actually I want to process the recorded data for my research so I need to export it in avi format.Any suggestions how can I optimize the performance by some settings.

Thanks,

Sanjay.

Gold

Hi Sanjay,

The software only records in .dat format and must be converted for viewing by standard media players. Have you tried recording directly from the camera to a network storage? You can control the size of the recorded files and also the format that way. Chapter 6 of the Admin Guide has information about how to set this up:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/csbvsc/pvc300/administration/guide/PVC300_OL-18044-01.pdf

Hi mpyhala,

No i have not tried to record drectly from camera.I am planning to store the files on my PC so do not have Network Storage.

Is it possible to save on my laptop instead ?

Thanks,

Sanjay.

Gold

Sanjay,

Yes, you can record to a shared folder on a Windows PC.

Views
Helpful
Replies