Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Is Wvc210 a Dead product?

Hi all, after a long search for an IP  camera  capable of writing directly to a NAS server without a pc required, affordable and made by a reputable manifucaturer I ended up on this forum with the Wvc210 camera. I really like the great support this forum is giving so I was almost ready to buy the first bunch of cameras but then... the disappointmente came, to nice to be true, I read on cisco web site the Wvc210 and the whole surveillance branch is going to be shut down by the company, soon it wil be no longer possible to buy more products (still available on amazon today) and support.  I wanted to ask on this forum if I this is true, suggestions and alternatives, I need to start with few cameras and then add more, so I'd prefer I product which will stay alive.

This is the announcment I read

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6918/ps9692/ps9944/ps9946/end_of_life_notice_c51-685313.html

Thank you for the answer and congratulation for the great job done so far. I don't understand why to shoot down something working so well and so well documented and supported...Do I really have to end up buying those cheap chinese cameras on ebay with "untrusted" software to install  on my pcs on my lan? *sigh*

Antonio

8 REPLIES

I found a bunch of EOL statements in my provided link below, but I do not see any 'replacment' products, so I am concerned about this too.

I have already started a camera implementation project that uses the WVC201, the WVC2300 and the PVC2300.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9944/prod_eol_notices_list.html

Gold

Clifford,

Unfortunately Cisco has decided to drop the Small Business Surveillance line of products. If you wish to use the Cisco cameras for future projects I recommend that you stock up on them now while they are still available.

This is very unfortunate given conversations with your customer service representatives yesterday about our nonprofit community policing project and this product purchased at retail for evaluation. Neither the reseller or Cisco made mention of Cisco Small Business Wireless-G IP Camera with 2-Way Audio / Pan-Tilt-Zoom (WVC210) being obsolete or that the entire product family and the whole surveillance branch is going to be shut down.

LETS just became a Partner with Cisco after another manufacturer's product failed QA testing, their tech support staff were poorly trained, and emails have gone unanswered. One would think, after providing a detailed explanation of our project, the grant funding on the line and how best to proceed bringing the product into our channel, someone at Cisco would tell us it couldn't happen.

Our other nonprofit (serving military families and first responders) has been waiting for Cisco partner Techsoup.org to update us on the status of Cisco's Flip Video Cameras. Now we learn: "Cisco recently announced that it will be exiting the Flip business, and support customers and partners with a transition plan." 

Would anyone from Cisco be so kind as to enlighten us to the "transition plan" and suggest a reliable vendor for products like the Wireless IP cameras. Recommending that we stock up on EOL products now, while they are still available, would not be an ethical plan for our community services. We'll eat our investment but it would not be right to pass that on to future consumers. HELP!

Dave

You are correct in your statement: "Where is the transtion plan?"

What other products can we use that work with the AVMS software, if there are any at all?

I can understand that companies have to be profitable, but I got left in a big hole with one of my clients too.

I spent a lot of time developing a proposal that included PVC2300s, WVC2300s, WVC210s etc.

And then I call Ingram Micro and they tell me they are EOL!

arghh.

Re: Is Wvc210 a Dead product?

Hello Gentlemen, my name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

First please accept my sincerest apologies. The decision to drop this line was a very long and hard decision. While I was not a part of that decision, I do know that Cisco struggled with taking  that path.

With that said, Mr. Jenest I can not speak to the reseller, but our representatives should have been able to inform you of the camera status during your discussions. I am sorry that they did not.

I can say that anything bought will be supported until 2014 based on the purchased date of the item. There is not a current transition plan as Cisco is getting out of this part of small business altogether. If it was just the ending of this product to bring on a new camera, that would be in place.

I will speak with the Business Team and see if I can find any other answers or option for you.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Hi Eric,
thank you for your message, it's great to have such a kind of support and human contact with a manifacturer engineer. It's nice to see that cisco is keeping the good habits of glorius silicon valley age. At the same time that makes me even more sad because such a great line of products and support will no more be available.

I made intensive search and found no other product in same price range of wvc210 with similar  features. You really had a winner and so were the other cameras.

Hence I decided to buy my first sample of wvc210 and if it will satisfy me I will buy others while they last, they are also offered at special price now.

Now could you tell me please how long cisco employees working on this forum will keep answering questions?

Thank you
Antonio

A+ support from Eric at Cisco today as we look at some possible solutions. I will comment on findings later. As for tech support on server software, router and switch issues, outstanding effort. Quite refreshing after being hosed by another supposed surveilllance system vendor's utter lack of customer service and tech support.

On behalf of our NPST and LETS members, THANK YOU!

Cisco might want to re-think EOL of this line in view of a victory won for law enforcement and first responders yesterday. http://www.policeone.com/police-products/communications/articles/5098920-D-Block-allocation-to-public-safety-is-done Oh... I should mention there's $7billion (with a B) backing up the bill President Obama is expect to sign quickly.

Message was edited by: Dave Jenest and Don Holton

Gentlemen, Thank you for the kind words.

Antonio, It is my understanding that forum will remain available to all regardless of the product. This is where we send customer for any  products that are out of warranty. I can say that as long as I am at Cisco I will answer questions here in this forum.

Dave and Don, It is my pleasure and Cisco's' to support our Law-Enforcement and Military in any way. Please reach out to us if we can ever be of assistance.

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Views
Helpful
Replies