Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Need advice for WVC210 and low bandwidth internet connection

Hello, I have a WVC210 connected to my home dsl and I made the set up  to access it from the internet (wan). I tried to access with a mobile internet connection which is lower bandwidth than dsl and I could not see the streamed video, even at the lowest resolution in mp4, but I could move the camera with PTZ and preset positions. I understand the video cannot be seen in this condition but the snapshot too is not working.

Is there any way, when the connection is slow, to completely disable the video stream and just take a snapshot from camera at the current PTZ position? taking 3 snapshot at 3 preset positions would allow me to quickly check doors and windows and that would be already peace of mind for me, but I found no way to do this with WVC210. Is the camera limited only to fast connections and video stream?

Thank  you for the answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Need advice for WVC210 and low bandwidth internet connection

Have you tried http:///img/snapshot.cgi?size=3&quality=1     

Here is the size (resolution) key: 1 = 160x120, 2 = 320x240 and 3 = 640x480

Quality key: 1 = Very high, 2 = High, 3 = Normal, 4 = Low and 5 = Very low

If you want to connect from WN what you would need to do is forward a port to the camera, I would recommend using port 8000 - 8009 (only 1 port not all 9 are needed). You wouldn't need another router for the job, just ask your ISP to help you open one port to the camera's IP address. when you connet to the camera from WAN it would then be your IP plus the port, e.g http://68.25.23.48:8000.

Alan.

10 REPLIES
Gold

Hi anto,

Thank you for posting. I do not know of a way to send a snapshot other than through email alerts. You can program the camera to send you an email with a short (up to 5 sec.) video or multiple .jpeg images when it detects motion. Moving the lens using PTZ would certainly create movement and cause the camera to send you an alert. Have you tried lowering the resolution, quality and frame rate? I would think that if the frame rate was 1 fps you would at least get sporadic images on your mobile device.

Hi Mpyala and thank you for your help.

I have already tried choosing min resolution and frame rate and with both mp4 and mjpg it doesn't work, all I can see is a black rectangle with sometime few random white pixels in the center.

Well, I'm not surprised that a video stream (even at lowest rate) does not work with an internet mobile connection. But it should be technically possible for the camera to send just a snapshot.

Actually THERE IS a snapshot button in the camera menu, I wonder how it works, does it just freeze a frame from the video stream? If so I understand why it doesn't work, no video stream, no frame to freeze

Regarding your motion detection alert tip, I did not try yet (I have not camera available now), but I remember I already set up motion detection alerts in the past and I never got one genereted by PTZ moving, I guess the camera disable the alert during PTZ to not give false alert. Unless there is a specific option for that (enable alert during PTZ) I don't think it will work.   

I'll let you know if I find a way to achieve my goal.

Regards
Antonio

Hello Antonio, I didn't see any mention, but does the feed from the camera work internally? If active X is not enabled on your browser, you will not see a video feed/stream. Also depending on your settings it may never ask for you to activate the active component. Also what browsers have you tried?

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Hi Eric, thank you for your answer. Yes the camera works fine if I use the browser from the LAN side, on first access I got the activex warning and gave permission to download and Execute it, from then on it opens always flawlessly.

Have you tried either http:///img/mobile.cgi or http:///img/mobile.htm ? This should get you the snapshot.

Alan.

Hi Alan, thank you, your advice works (to be honest I tested only from LAN) but only in low res 160x120 (the image is ugly, strongly downlsampled) , I guess because it's thought for mobile view, but, I have a mobile smartphone with 800x480 res and I also use it as a modem for my laptop, so I'd like something like you suggested giving just 1 snapshot but at 640x480. Any way to get it?

Also I have some concerns I did something wrong in setting up WAN access. I opened in the firewall (port forwarding) only HTTP port 80 for the camera IP. Should I open (let it pass) also other ports? I see in the advanced menu there are RTSP/RTP ports.

My problem is now I can test WAN access only with mobile connection, which is slow and expensive, my ADSL does not allow me to use/access WAN IP from LAN and I don't have another ADSL (such as a neighbour)  available. I'm thinking to put the camera behind an additional  firewall in the LAN and try experimenting port forwarding between the 2 segment of my LAN, definetly faster and at no cost.

If someone has more advices they are welcome.

Thank you

Antonio

Re: Need advice for WVC210 and low bandwidth internet connection

Have you tried http:///img/snapshot.cgi?size=3&quality=1     

Here is the size (resolution) key: 1 = 160x120, 2 = 320x240 and 3 = 640x480

Quality key: 1 = Very high, 2 = High, 3 = Normal, 4 = Low and 5 = Very low

If you want to connect from WN what you would need to do is forward a port to the camera, I would recommend using port 8000 - 8009 (only 1 port not all 9 are needed). You wouldn't need another router for the job, just ask your ISP to help you open one port to the camera's IP address. when you connet to the camera from WAN it would then be your IP plus the port, e.g http://68.25.23.48:8000.

Alan.

Thank you Alan, that is (size/quality) exactly what I wanted, I tested it and it works, it works even using just a smartphone with its internet mobile connection (no computer), image download is very fast at best quality. How did you discover this feature? I don't remember it to be described in official users guide

I also set up port forwarding for wan access and tried dyndns, it works fine.

Now I can easily control the camera from anywhere.

Motion detection, SMB and email alerts work fine too.  I am happy with this camera

That was my product........

Alan.

Hi mpyala, I just wanted to inform you that I tested email alerts during PTZ motion and it does not work, the camera does not consider the autogenerated PTZ motion as an alert (and I think that's right) so generate no alert, on the other hand as soon as I move in front of the camera the alert works fine. To me camera behaviour makes sense, unfortunately it does not solve my current problem.

Regards

Antonio

Views
Helpful
Replies