Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Need help setting up WVC210

Why does this have to be so difficult?? (can you tell I'm frustrated)

I bought the WVC210 HOPING it would basically be a "plug and play" installation. All I want to do is put a WiFi webcam on a network and view the images remotely.

I am using a laptop connected to the Internet via WiFi thru a Verizon MiFi. I connected the WVC210 to my laptop via the Ethernet cable provided. Ran the install app on the CD and successfully configured it. Restarted the WVC210 without the Ethernet cable and see the IP address 192.168.1.99 on its LCD display. I go to that IP with my browser and see nothing.

What should I try next?

Thanks!

Everyone's tags (2)
5 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Need help setting up WVC210

Lewis,

If you are attempting to connect the laptop directly to the camera wirelessly you will need to use Ad-hoc mode. If you are connecting through the Verizon device, make sure that the Wi-Fi settings on the camera match that device exactly. (i.e. security type, passphrase, SSID) You will need to access the Verizon card and obtain the correct settings. (Unless you already know the settings) The camera will attempt to connect to a router and obtain an IP address from that device if the settings are configured properly. 192.168.1.99 is the default IP address and the camera is probably not connecting to the Verizon card to get an IP address. Once it is set up properly, disconnect the ethernet cable between the laptop and camera and power cycle the camera. It will connect to the Verizon card and you will see a new IP address on the front of the camera. You should then be able to access the camera wirelessly at that address. If the Verizon card supports port forwarding you should be able to forward the proper port and access the camera remotely. If you need assistance, please reply or call 1-866-606-1866 for the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

Based on the Quick Start Guide I connected the laptop to the camera via the Ethernet cable included with the camera. Once I configured the camera via the cable then I disconnected the cable and restarted the camera so it would start-up in WiFi mode.

My laptop is using WiFi to the Verizon MiFi for its Internet connection.

I am not trying to use ad hoc mode .. I want to view the camera remotely via the internet. I cannot access the camera to make any settings changes via the IP its displaying. That is the problem. The LCD displays 192.168.1.99 but I cannot link to it using that IP.

There is no "normal" router .. only the MiFi card .. which can support up to 5 devices.

I did not see settings for SSID, etc when configuring using the Ethernet cable. I will try that process again and see if I overlooked those settings.

Thanks ....

I don't see a way to configure the SSID, etc via the Ethernet connection/config utility on the installation CD. And as mentioned earlier i cannot access the camera via the IP it has displayed in the LCD. I'm stuck.

Gold

Lewis,

Sorry you're getting stuck. What you can do is plug the camera directly into your laptop and configure a static IP address on the laptop. (Such as 192.168.1.100 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0) Once the laptop has an IP address in the same subnet as the camera you will be able to access the user interface of the camera at 192.168.1.99. You can then configure the wireless settings of the camera to match the Verizon device. You will need to find out if it is possible to forward ports in the Verizon device for remote access to the camera. Remember you can call Small Business Support at 1-866-606-1866 if you still need help.

I ended up calling Support. Not sure why the instructions don't tell you about configuring the IP address in the laptop. Maybe they think this is too basic or understood but they have much more basic instructions so I think this step should also be explained.

With help from Support we were able to access the camera and configure it. But it seems the configuration I wanted to use is not possible. I had wanted to use the camera thru my MiFi .. which supports up to 5 devices via WiFi .. but without port forwarding apparently there is no way to access the camera from the outside world.

I will return the WVC210 .. anyone have any suggestions for this application?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content