Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ptz controlling of a camera

I am doing a project in my college and thus I want to use the videoconferencing camera for my project.Tandberg high precision hd camera is used for video conferencing.

I am doing a face recognition project so I want to take video from this camera of the class.For better face recognition I want that all the faces of students should be clear.It could only be possible if my camera focus on each students for some time.Thus I want to perform following tasks with the camera-

1-Consider my whole class as a chess board.First i want that my camera should focus on 1st column.Initially it should focus on 1st seat of 1st row.After few seconds ,it should focus on 1st seat of 2nd row and then 1st seat of 3rd row and so on.When it will reach to end to 1st column ,then it should start from 2nd seat of 1 row and then 2nd seat of 2 row and so on i,e will scan 2 column and continue this whole process to scan whole class.

2-It should be able to zoom in last rows for better face images.

All this work has to be done manually by a remote controlbut i want to do this whole work automatically

This whole work can be done if i have camera's SDK but i think that company doesn't provide SDK with this camera.So how can I accomplish my work by using SDK(if available)  or by any another source (if SDK is not available).Some suggested me to do this whole work in visual studio but I don't know how to do it.Can you all please help me?

Everyone's tags (3)
5 REPLIES

Re: ptz controlling of a camera

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Doing something like this would require doing some hard core intelligent programming. Something that would have to be done in a real programming language.

Some of the variables that would be hard to code using just the CGI commands that come with some of our Cisco Cameras, are like finding the face and then zooming for the best picture. You may be able to code in the system First chair is here, second chair is here, etc. But then you would have to code for variables like height of the student while sitting, was the chair moved, movement of the student (slouching, rocking, just short, etc) Once the camera has locked into a face, how will it know to zoom if the student is in the back of the room, does it do it based on estimated distance from the camera, but how will it be able to tell.

If your at a college could you find a programming student in search of a project and you collaborate with them?

Very ambitious project, good luck.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

thanks sir...

basically ,I want to take a video from the camera .That video will be given as input in my face recognition code thus I don't have to take care of any constraints like face ,chair height or something like that in making the video as my face recognition code will do that work.I just want a video with the camera.For better face recognition ,I want that all the students face should be clear which can't be possible with a large class as the beck benchers face will be not clear in the video if we take video of whole class .So I want that my first my camera should focus on the first few rows only.Camera have to just take video of first few rows irspective of any constraints like chair height etc.Now I will get good face images of the first few rows.Now I want to focus on next some rows.So i will have to adjust pan and tilt options of the camera and then have to take video of the beck bechers with some zoom option as without zoom there face will be blur.So basically I want to control the pan tilt and zoom option.example is -   camera should tilt 5 degree with some time lag say 2 minutes i,e after every 2 minutes camera should tilt to 5 degrees  and when it has reached to tilt of 50 degree(say it is the angle at which back benchers are in the camera focus region)  then it have to zoom little bit ,such type of work.

So can you tell me ,is this type of work is possible with this camera-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11335/index.html

and if yes then where can I get the required softwares and how to proceed.Can you explain in bit detail as I am newbie in this field

Again I am not an expert on this particular camera, but I know of no SDK or programming to automatically make the camer do what your asking. You might look for any API or CGI command documentation. I know that there is some available for our small business cameras, but I dont know about this one. That might help.

Sorry we do not do programming. If there is API of CGI commands available, that is for customer use and beyond the scope of what Tech Support does.

Eric

So sir can we do this thing with the camera:-

-divide whole class in some presets and let the camera to move to different preset position after some time interval

If that camera has the API documentation  available to get those commands, yes. With this camera  not being a Small Business camera I am not aware if it is.

You might could try here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/collaboration-voice-video/video-over-ip

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content