Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Video recording ends on WVC210, when my laptop auto shuts down

Dear Cisco Partners,

I have been using WVC210, with video recording capability. I start the recording with no problems. However, I got two problems:

1. When i start the recording on my laptop, and then leave the laptop, sometime later, my laptop will auto shut down (which I do not want to change; i.e. I do not want to leave the laptop running all day). Problem is that, it seems like, when my laptop auto shuts down (due to no activity), then the video recording on the camera will also terminate automatically. However, my requirement is to have the camera to continue recording, even if the laptop goes to sleep mode. Is this possible? I am using a Fujitsu laptop.

2. Second problem related to the above is that, when I reach the camera from another location and try to start recording, it cannot reach my laptop, since my laptop will be "off". The recording location (to save the video files) is on my laptop. Therefore, is it possible to overcome this problem? I have external discs, but can I connect these directly to the camera, for recording purposes?

Thanks

Yalin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Hi Yalin,

The camera cannot record video to a PC or other device that is turned off. If you wish to record without a PC, I recommend a Network Attached Storage device. Some routers allow you to connect an external USB drive to them which allows you to read/write to that drive through the network. The router and hard drive would need to be always powered on. You could also purchase a dedicated NAS such as the Cisco Small Business NSS322 or NSS324, which would allow continuous uninterrupted recording.

3 REPLIES
Gold

Hi Yalin,

The camera cannot record video to a PC or other device that is turned off. If you wish to record without a PC, I recommend a Network Attached Storage device. Some routers allow you to connect an external USB drive to them which allows you to read/write to that drive through the network. The router and hard drive would need to be always powered on. You could also purchase a dedicated NAS such as the Cisco Small Business NSS322 or NSS324, which would allow continuous uninterrupted recording.

Thanks Mpyhala.... I did some research for the NASs.. The Cisco ones you suggested  to be quite pricey for simple home use... but I found a couple of others. Cisco also has one, which is affordable (mediahub), and there are other brands... Can I use the Cisco media hub for this purpose? Thanks. Yalin

Gold

Hi Yalin,

The Cisco Media Hub should work fine as a storage device for WVC210 video recordings.

Views
Helpful
Replies